Coffee in a Donut Store

"Where's Vanya?" you asked after emerging from your room a while later, having changed back into your uniform, the only thing you fit in.

"Oh, she's gone," Allison responded, and you frowned.

"That's unfortunate. I wanted to talk to her more," you said softly.

"Yeah... listen, Eight, she exposed our secrets," Allison burst. "And I'm really hoping that doesn't bother you, since you don't have a power, because everyone seems to hate her for it. I was mad at first, but now... now I just feel bad for her."

"Exposed our secrets?" you repeated. "How?"

"Wrote a book about us. Our personal lives, our powers, everything," Diego responded, walking into the living room.

"Don't forget daddy issues!" Klaus called from the kitchen, and Allison rolled her eyes.

"Absolutely nothing has changed," she said, smiling softly.

You raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything, instead following her into the kitchen.

"An entire square block. Forty-two bedrooms, 19 bathrooms, but not a single drop of coffee," Five rambled, tipping a can upside down to check if there was anything inside. A ladybug fell into his hand, and he made a noise of disgust.

"Dad hated caffeine, remember? Or have you been gone too long?" you asked sarcastically.

He scoffed, biting the inside of his cheek.

"He hated children, too, and he had plenty of us. And I'm choosing to ignore the latter statement."

Klaus laughed, and you poked him.

"I'm taking the car."

"Where are you going?" Klaus asked, squinting at him.

"To get a decent cup of coffee," Five replied, spinning the key ring around his finger.

"Uhh, do you even know how to drive?"

"I know everything," Five said in his stupidly confident tone.

"I know that we should try to stop him," Klaus told you as Five walked off, "but then again, I kinda just wanna see what happens."

"Wait - Five!" you called before he could flash away. He turned, a skeptical look on his face, as you approached.

"Yes, Eight?" You flinched inwardly as he used your number rather than your real name, even though you had told him never to call you by it in front of other people.

You had wanted it to be something you shared with him, and him alone.

"Listen, Five..." You glanced behind you, spotting the remaining academy members watching, and pulled him into the hall by his jacket. "Nice uniform, by the way," you said when you were finally out of earshot from the others.

"I could say the same for you," he noted, nodding at your skirt and layered tops. "Now, care to tell me why you interrupted my coffee outing?" He smiled wide, and your eyes flicked to the two freckles on his cheek that you had always found adorable. Clearing your throat, you got back on track.

"Yeah, I... listen. I... might have been asleep when you disappeared, but even in my 'dream' you were gone, too. And I - well, I really missed you, all right?" you finally said, keeping your voice low. His eyes found yours briefly, and you focused on a point just behind his shoulder so you didn't get too embarrassed, but not before seeing the small smile that curled at the corner of his lips. "I mean, the others were nice, but there wasn't a day I didn't think about you. Especially when Ben-"