Find Eight

Once in the street, you all glanced behind you to reveal cop cars rapidly approaching, and Diego quickly changed direction.

"Nooope. Come on, this way."

"Wait, but the car is back that way," Allison said, pointing behind you.

"Trust me, ok? Come on."

You groaned, following behind them.

"What did you do now, Diego?" you asked, rolling your eyes.

"They think I murdered someone," he admitted quietly, and you laughed to yourself as Allison's eyes widened.

"Well, did you?" Allison demanded as the siren whooped.

"No, no, no, of course not, okay? Why would you ask that about me, anyway?"

"I'm sure you have murdered a few people in your lifetime," you muttered, and Diego reached back, shoving your forehead.

"I heard that, shithead. We're gonna have to split, okay? I'm in charge. Remember? Vanya needs you two."

"Don't do anything stupid, ok?" Allison asked before taking your hand and running off.

"Have fun in jail!" you couldn't help but call behind you as you made your way to the car. You glanced back one final time to see him flipping you off.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

About an hour later, you and Allison sat quietly driving down a deserted highway, rain sprinkling across the windshield.

"I'm gonna take a nap," you said with a yawn, closing your eyes and leaning your head against the window, "Nighty-night."

"We're here," Allison announced, and you sat up slowly, rubbing your eyes.

"But I just closed my eyes," you whined, stretching. 

"Explain the sun, then," she said with a teasing smile, and you realized with a jolt that she was right. The sky was the bright blue of early morning - you had actually gotten almost a full night of sleep.

You stepped out of the car, following her along the side of the house.

"So... what do we do if she's here? Or isn't?" you asked, ducking under the deck. "I mean, I'm trying to say... what are we here for?"

"To find Vanya and talk to her," Allison said, peering inside the window. "I see her violin case - she might be here." A bird flew close by the two of you, making you jump.

"Jeez," you breathed, shaking your head slowly. "This place is creepy."

"I don't think they're here," Allison said, making her way back to the car. "I'm going to drive around, see if she's in town. Call me if they come back, all right?"

You nodded, then froze.

"I don't have a phone! And I don't know your number!" you called after her, but she had already gotten in the car. You sighed, sitting on the porch and waiting for her return. The gentle sound of chirping birds lulled you into a trance, and you leaned against the wall, your eyes drifting shut slowly...

A car door slammed, waking you up.

"Shoot," you hissed, scampering into the woods and watching from behind a tree as Vanya emerged from a car along with... "Leonard Peabody." Sure enough, he didn't look dangerous at all, just like you remembered. He looked like a nice enough guy, but... his eye had a patch over it. "He really is the guy," you breathed to yourself.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

Breakfast at the Hargreeves House