More Like Five

As soon as Diego left, you and Klaus glanced at each other with a sigh, getting out of the car without even having to commune.

"So what exactly is the plan here, big guy?" Klaus asked when you found Diego at the top of the steps, stopping him from throwing a knife.

He sighed, not so much as glancing behind him.

"I told you to wait in the car."

"Yeah, but you also told me that licking a 9-volt battery would give me pubes."

You giggled, elbowing him.

"That's funny - he told me it would give me powers!"

"Whoa," Klaus said, snorting. "Low blow, dude. Or Lil Bro? Can I call you that now?"

Diego ignored his comment, turning to face both of you.

"We were eight."

Klaus tipped back his bottle, staggering forward, and Diego grabbed his shirt, pushing him back down the stairs.

"Uh-uh, uh-uh..."

"What? Come on," Klaus complained as they kept walking. You raised an eyebrow.

Forgot about me that easy, huh?

You crept into the horribly familiar motel room, refusing to look at the chairs you and Klaus had been tied up in. Instead, you grabbed a book off of the table, narrowing your eyes when you saw the cover.

It's Vanya's book - the one Allison told me about.

The TV played in the background, but you ignored it, stepping back outside to show Diego your discovery, only to find him about to kick the door in.

"Shit, Diego," you hissed, backing away from him. "The door was unlocked, idiot."

He rubbed his forehead tiredly.

"I told you to-"

A car engine revved, and you ran outside the room only to see a bullet flying for Diego's chest. Almost without thinking, you thrust the book forward, watching with wide eyes as it tore through the pages, slowing the bullet's momentum just enough that Diego had time to leap out of the way. 

However, one still managed to hit him in the upper arm, and more were flying for his head, but Klaus saved the day by pulling him behind a pillar. You ducked back into the room, breathing rapidly as Diego groaned and the car sped away.

"See?" Klaus asked, watching Diego clutch his arm. "You used to think I was an idiot."

Diego sighed, leaning against the railing.

"I still think you're an idiot. Both of you." He glanced around the pillar, stumbling back down the stairs hastily. "They're getting away."

"You're welcome," you said sarcastically, chasing them down the steps only to watch the car disappear.

Diego sighed, still holding his arm.

"Shit. Get in the car. Oh..."

"Yeah," you muttered as air hissed out of the tires. "These guys are good."

Klaus kicked the deflating tire angrily, and you became distracted, an idea forming in your mind.

"Hey, guys?" you called.

"Was this all part of your master plan?" Klaus asked Diego dryly.

"Hellooooo?"

"Shut up."

"Idiots! Over there!" you finally shouted, pointing to an ice cream truck not far from where you stood. "The drivers always leave their keys in there."

Klaus slowly smiled, walking over and putting an arm around your shoulder.