I - Graduation

"What you looking at? You are the next."

The words follow with a nudge from my friend Kyungmi. I tear my gaze from the gathered folk in the auditorium and glance at the girl who's posing for the camera.

"I'm waiting for dad. He said he'll come."

Desperation laces my words. I quickly adjust my convocation gown and hat and whirl my gaze around the din of crowd one more time before I hear my name being announced into the mic.

"Kim Ariana."

"Go bestie." Kyungmi chips

I nod, inhale a deep sigh and head for the podium.

"Congratulations Ms. Kim." The teacher offers with a sweet smile and extends out the roll towards me.

The light flashes upon us and just like that, all the years of my highschool are captured in a photograph.

Applauses take over and my gaze lands over him, the man that stands out from the rest of the crowd, because of his towering height and his hands that are raised higher matching his eye level as he claps for me. A proud smile playing over his lips that has mine curving up into one too.

"Got bit late. I couldn't choose which one to buy." He hands me a bouquet of roses. Red ones. The sight of it instantly convincing me to forget that he arrived late.

"Red roses on graduation? Seriously Dad?" I let a chortle fall from my lips blearily accepting the beautiful fresh flowers.

"Why not? You like roses though." He flashes me a smile. I inhale in the sweet fragrance when his phone rings in his pocket.

"I'll go for a sec." He fishes the phone out from his pocket and slides the green button. Pressing the cold metal against his ears, he leaves for somewhere more quiet.

Spotting me alone, Kyungmi who has earlier fled to stand with her family retreats to my side.

"Red roses. Did my Ari get any proposal or something?" She teases, playfully wiggling her brows.

"It's from dad." I reply with an eye-roll.

"Step-dad." She emphasises with a chuckle.

Pondering over what she is trying to underline by that, I retort, "You are unbelievable. That won't happen. Ever."

"That's for time to tell, sweetheart." She grins, amused.

"Shut up! Dad is coming."

"Hello, Mr. Kim." Kyungmi chimes, outstretching a hand.

"Hi kyungmi." He drops her a casual smile going for the handshake like the gentleman he's.

"It's always nice to see you."

You don't have to flirt with my dad.

"Yea same. Thanks for taking care of my Ari all these years."

Because she's the only one who've stuck with me my whole highschool.

"What did she say earlier?" He casually asks, opening the door to the driver's seat.

"Who?" I ask, strapping myself in the passenger's seat.

"Kyungmi. I heard a little."

"What did you hear dad?" I ask quietly, as the worst possibilities begin to hover in the back of my head.

"Shut up dad is coming." He laughs slightly boring couple of dimples in either of his cheeks.

"Oh it's nothing." I'm glad he didn't hear anything else.

"Ari you know you can share anything with me right?" As he turns his serious gaze to me, I feel myself nodding almost immediately.

"It's nothing dad. Really." I flash him a slight smile hoping that it'll make him buy my words and it actually helps.

No need bringing it up because

That ain't happening.

Never!

_____

💲Short chapter for an interesting beginning!
💲Early update! Your comments encouraged me to write despite my horrible period cramps [I'm 12 days late this month so it sucks and yeah hurts like hell]
💲Leave your reviews about this chapter too. I hope you enjoyed reading it ❤
💲if you like the book, please add it in your reading lists and spread the word about it. Help me reach it out to others.
💲575 words ; July 8, 22 ; 5:35 PM

Vulgar comments will be deleted.