XXXII - Reverie

It was hit and run.

He was on his way back from the bakery across the street when the tragedy had him in its ruthless clutches. The police found a brown carry bag from the scene of crime.

As I peek inside, the sight of cinnamon rolls wells up my eyes with tears and they take no time to spill out.

"I didn't leave you alone to cry."

"I'm not crying." I deny sharply, sliding away the tears before shifting my gaze to dex who now sits next to me.

"C'mere." He pulls my head to his chest and I bit my lips to suppress the sobs intending to break out of my lips.

"You need to be strong okay? For yourself, for Namjoon. He's strong. Infact he's muscle monster right?" He laughs a quiet chuckle and has me breaking into one too. His hands smoothening against my hairs, he softly adds, "Nothing happens to Namjoon. He'll be okay within no time."

"It's been an hour." I draw back and look at him.

"Surgery takes longer. We have to wait."

I drop my head on his shoulder and stare vaguely and emotionlessly at nothing in particular.

"He'll be okay right? They said he lost much blood."

He hums in response, continuing to tenderly pat my head "He'll be fine."

"Sleep for a while. Time flies when you are asleep. I'll wake you up once surgery is over."

"No I'll wai--

The yawn breaking out of my lips doesn't let me continue.

"Listen to me. I know you are tired. You haven't been sleeping well lately."

"No I'm okay."

I keep my eyes forced open for as long as I can unless they drop close on their own and before I pass out completely, I hear him whisper,

"told ya."

The moment I arouse from deep slumber I know I'm dreaming for I'm in my bed and Namjoon is sleeping next to me. His face is free from any bandages that earlier seemed to cover up every inch of his skin that it was almost impossible to recognise him when they shifted him into operation ward.

His veiny arms hooked around me tucks my body to his and he lays shirtless which proves my surmise of it all being a dream exactly precise.

Oh how bad I want it to be a reality...

A tear drop sneaks out of my eyes and trails down my cheeks. I lift my hand and reach out to touch his face, to feel his skin against mine.

I softly brush my fingertips against his eyes, lower down to his nose and skip to his parted plump red lips. Chest heaving up and down in slow rhythmic breathes, he sleeps peacefully. But I don't want him to be at peace. I want him to wake up and talk to me.

"Joon I am sorry. I know I am bad -no- worst girlfriend but please don't leave me. I'll try and be the best one for you."

"You don't have to try anything. You are the best and only one for me." I feel his arm pull me closer. His voice is raspy as if he's just woken up couple of minutes ago but when I look up at his face his eyes are closed. Dreams are absurd yet some part of it makes me long for it to be nothing but reality.

"Why does all of it has to be a dream?" I mumble, snuggling closer into his chest.

"It's not a dream baby." He stirs in his sleep and lays on his side, facing me. Soon I feel him pressing a soft peck on the top of my head as he always loved to do.

"You need to wake up and get well soon. What would I do without you..." My voice softens at the end.

"Ari..." He softly calls out "I'm here."

"Always?"

I'm dumb to ask when I know it's nothing but a beautiful scenario framed by my own sleep deprived mind but his further words comfort me in several different ways.

"Yes love, always."

And these three words of him tempt me to willingly sink myself into the fascinating delusion that it's a reality rather being a vague creation of my brain.

"I might not be here physically with you when you need me but baby I love you..I miss you, please know that."

"No!" I scowl, looking at him in the eyes, "You have to be here with me! You can't leave me alone!" He laughs at my small outburst and the corners of his eyes crease up to leave behind beautiful crescents.

I miss his smile. I miss him.

"Did you sleep well?" He softly asks. I hum a silent nod and rest my head against his chest.

"We should leave for hospital." He runs his fingers through my hairs in a slow and gentle manner.

"Hospital?"

"Dex needs to have some rest too."

Although nothing makes sense yet I don't want this dream to end. What was the time when I had him this close to me...

"stay a little longer please.."

"Baby I'd love to cuddle with you more but we need to go now."

"Okay..."

"Okay." He plants one last peck on my hairs and leaves the bed.

Namjoon drives us to the same hospital. He stops before a ward and silently pushes the door back to reveal Dex in the same clothes. His lower body rests on the stool with his head on his folded arms beside a bandaged male lying unconscious on the white hospital bed with several thin wires and tubes attached to his body.

"I'll go talk to doctor." Namjoon excuses himself.

I tread towards my best friend and lightly shake him out of his slumber.

"Dex wake up!"

After couple of minutes, he flutter opens his eyes, "Ari.." Confusion crosses his features.

"Why are you here? I send you home."

Wait what?

Is that why-

Before I can contemplate, he asks another question and then surprisingly enough it all starts to make sense.

"Did Namjoon come too?"

___

1020 words, Sep 30,22 , 6:35PM
Leave your reviews for this part.

And sadly there's no progress on that crush of mine 〽️