XXXI - Call

The chat inbox is piled up with texts and voice messages. He hasn't read any of them yet. It's already past midnight and without any hints of slumber in my eyes, I impatiently wait for him to get off work and maybe? talk to me.

The light from phone hurts my eyes. Still, I hold onto it hoping for any reply or call from him. When my patience doesn't last long, I call him for the umpteenth time and press the metal against my ear.

please pick up. Please joon.

I bit my lower lip, suppressing the sob that intends to break out.

"Ari..."

A hoarse voice fills my ear. I instantly lower the phone down, turn the screen off and blink away my tears before looking back.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" A half asleep Dex props himself up on either of his elbows. He sleeps over when Namjoon isn't home.

"I'm not sleepy. You can go back to sleep." I shift my gaze back to the half moon gracing the starry midnight sky.

"Waiting for Namjoon. Aren't you?" I don't answer for the tears welled up in my eyes cascade down upon hearing his name. I've to quickly wipe them off before he may notice.

"Come with me." His hand reaches out for mine and I let him guide me to bed. Grabbing my shoulders, he seats me on the edge of bed and takes his place across on the chair. He gathers my hands in his left one and presses the other on the top.

"Stop torturing yourself. Namjoon may be hurt or mad at you but he loves you and you know that."

"It's been a day dex." I whimper, again on the verge of tears.

"And how long has he ever stayed without talking to you?"

"A day and half and that was because of his long flight." I sniffle.

"You got your answer. He'll call you soon." He ruffles my hairs "You are his spoiled princess, he won't stay mad at you for long."

"You are my lighthouse." I hug his waist, smiling and sniffling. With his reassurance, I feel hundred times better. How does he somehow always come up with the right words to make me feel at ease?

"I'm hungry. Cook me something."

"I only know ramen." I look up at him. Namjoon does most of the cooking and in his absence I rely on takeouts or ramen.

"That sounds nasty." He chuckles and we share a laughter before he adds, "but it'll do."

Ramen doesn't end with only ramen because dex happens to spot soju. And Food and drinks, together sometimes can be the best solution.

"Are you drunk?" We sway our way into the room.

"No." He shakes his head, his eyes flickering close. That audacity to lie after downing straight two bottles. If I knew it turns this way, I wouldn't even let him touch the bottle. This way I won't be dying under his weight.

"You are." I remove his arm which hangs around my shoulder and drop him on the couch.

"hundred... per-percen...soberrr..." he slurrs, hazel orbs falling close.

"Yea yea good night." I cover him with the comforter.

__

"That's it. My father will disown me." He looks up from his test paper the teacher has just distributed.

"Oh come on. You got C. It's not bad." I try to cheer him up.

"Coming from A itself." He rolls his eyes.