Chapter 27: Types

After a few days had gone by, I was finally as good as new.
I catch a cold pretty easily but hopefully there won't be any more instances where I'd have to stand out in the rain.
Right now, Mr. De Luca and I were sitting in his office like usual and I was doing a job I never thought I'd have to do.

Loading and cleaning his gun.

Mr. De Luca stood pacing his office while on a phone call. Speaking nothing but Italian so I didn't understand a word.

I finished with his weapon and stood up to give it to him.
He stopped pacing and took his hand out of his pocket so he could grab it.

He looked at me.

"Is there anything else?" I asked.
"No. Go on your lunch break."
"Okay."

I walked towards the door.

"Lucky." he called me.
I looked at him. "Yes?"
"Call me if anything happens to you."
I grinned and nodded. "I will."
He continued in Italian to the other line.

I'll always wonder what they talk about.

I left the office and got in the elevator.

Now to figure out what I'd want to eat for lunch.

~~~

"Hi, mom." I greeted.
Today was a beautiful day out, so I decided to have my lunch outside under one of the umbrellas. I FaceTimed my mom during.
"Hi, baby. How's it goin'?"
"It's okay. How are you?"
"I'm fine. I see we got our lunch break at the same time today."
"Really? What're you having?"
"Pasta your father made last night. How about you?"
"Pasta salad from this deli across the street from my office."
"Sounds good."

I sighed.

"Uh oh." she stated.
"What uh oh?"
"You sighed. What's wrong?"
"Nothing's wrong. I was just breathing."
She looked at me like she didn't believe me.
I sighed again.
"Talk to me." she instructed and took a bite.
"I...Okay, don't tell dad."
"I don't tell him anything that you've only told me."
"Okay, good. So..." I took a deep breath.

"I recently realized I may have caught feelings for my boss because he's this really attractive and large guy, but he's also really scary and nonchalant and I don't know what to do about it, but I know he's my boss, so I've kept it under wraps, but one night we kissed and I don't know how to feel about that other than the fact I really enjoyed it, but it hasn't happened again and I'm trying to get over it, but it's hard. Then Josh texted me a few days ago saying that he missed having me be a part of his life and now, tomorrow, he and I are going for dinner and a movie just as friends and I asked my boss about getting the night off for it and he said yes, but it feels so weird asking him for that when I know I've gained just the smallest crush on him." I said in one breath.

Now I was breathing hard because I forgot to breathe previously.

"Okay, well, deep breaths." she instructed and I did.
"You okay? Do you need your inhaler?"
"I'm okay." I nodded.
"Okay. I think I got the majority of it. But I do have a question."
"Okay."
"Why do you feel bad if you said you and Josh are only going out as friends?"
I thought on it.

"Do you feel bad because you might still also have feelings for Josh?" she asked.
"I don't know. I hope not. That didn't go very well the first time."
"Correct."
I just stirred around my pasta salad.
"Do you know how your boss feels about you?" she asked.
"No...Not really. Probably nothing."
"Why do you say that if you said he kissed you?"
"Because he's very matter of fact about everything and he always speaks to me in this 'I hate everything' attitude."
"Do you really think you'd want to be with a man like that?"
I didn't answer.
"No offense, baby, but the last man you were with treated you that way and you couldn't handle it. Are you sure you wanna go for a round two?"
"I guess not..."
"If you want my opinion, neither sound like good options. The first is an ex who seemed to not care once you two got together and this new guy...already doesn't care. You deserve someone who's gonna love you, babygirl. I need you to find someone who will cherish you as much as I know you will cherish them."
"You're right."

I guess you could say I have a type. I wish the type was people that would love me.

I'd lost my appetite.

"Thanks, mom."
"Of course, babygirl."
"But my lunch break is over. Can I call you back later?"
"Sure."
"Okay. I love you."
"I love you."
"Bye."
We hung up.

I packed up my food to save for later and began heading back to the office.

After crossing the street, I walked inside and headed towards the elevator.

All I could think about was how naïve I was to gain feelings for my boss. It hadn't lasted long, so I probably wouldn't struggle to be rid of them, but it was still stupid I had it to begin with.

I stepped in the elevator.

My small crush was probably just because he'd occasionally do something nice for me and I hadn't had that in a while, or the fact that he's just so attractive and I like the way he calls my name. But it wouldn't work out. He'd just be another Josh.

The elevator opened and I walked to his office door.

The moment I was about to reach for the handle, the door opened.

Viviana walked out and fixed her dress strap. She grinned at me before turning around and putting her lips on Mr. De Luca's. I looked at him and his eyes met me while the two continued locking lips.

I turned around to avoid the awkward stare.

"Alright, Viviana. That's enough." I heard.

I realized my eyesight was blurry.
These tears didn't make sense.
I knew about his plans with Viviana and still I keep forgetting then acting surprised when I'm reminded.

"I'll miss you." she stated.
I heard her heels click on the floor as she walked away.

"Lucky." he called me.
"I need to go to the restroom." I replied and walked off so I wouldn't have to show him my face.

Naivety. I should know better.
By now you'd think I'd know better.
After what happened you'd think I'd avoid anything that would be me hurting myself.
How careless is it for me to gain a silly middle school crush on my boss who plans to be engaged and is such a violent man that other grown men stutter in his presence?

I walked into the bathroom and tried blinking away my tears, but more would come out. Which was annoying. I didn't think this was something to cry over because I knew. I'm not allowed to feel bad.
I haven't had the opportunity of liking anyone since Josh. I'm on a losing streak.

I quickly dabbed my eyes and sniffed, looking in the mirror to make sure that I looked okay, before walking back out and towards his office.

I walked back in and he was inside and standing in his doorway like he was thinking.

"Is there anything you need me to do?" I asked.
"We have to-..." He turned and looked at me.

I stared up at him as I waited for the rest of his sentence.

"Your eyes are puffy." he stated. "You've been crying."
I scoffed. "No...No, I haven't. I'm fine."
His hand found my face. "Your cheek is damp. And that's what your eyes looked like when I found you on the phone with my employees. What happened?"
His hand was so gentle against my cheek.
"I told you to tell me if anyone bothers you."
And if the person is him, what do I do?

I pulled my face out of his hand.
"I'm fine. Just a bit tired." I replied.
He just stared at me.
Like usual.