Chapter 69: I'll Tell You

De Luca:

I walked down the alleyway with my gun in my hand.

The second I turned the corner it was up in the air.

She stood there leaning against the wall with her arms crossed and just staring at me.

Son of a bitch.

"So it is you." she stated.

I turned around and walked off.

"Hey!" she shouted.

I stopped and turned around to look at her.

"Why're you following me?"
"I'm not."
"Every day for the past three months since I got this job, I've felt like someone was watching me. It's you. Isn't it?"

I just stared at her.

"You're aware that's creepy, right? Like I've been terrified I was going to get kidnapped for the second time."

I didn't respond.

"Are you even listening to me? You still speak as little as possible, huh?"

I don't even know why I'm standing here. I could just walk off to my car. She won't do anything, but yell after me. But my feet wouldn't move.

"Why are you following me?" she asked again.

I just stared at her. My eyes were low since I was tired which also meant I didn't have the energy to speak. I had my hands in my coat pockets, hidden away from the cold.

"Is it the luck thing again? Because I promise stalking me will not bring your luck back up. So it's pointless."
"I never told you my second job." I remembered. "And I don't break promises."
She looked confused.
I watched her take a deep breath.
"Well, we never got there. I was a bit busy."
"Follow me." I instructed.

I wasn't sure if she'd follow directions, but I began walking anyway. I heard another set of footsteps behind me.

We walked down the street and I took her to a different restaurant, obviously not the one she worked at. This one was better. It was also empty.

"Two, please." I instructed.
"Sir, we're closing." she replied.
"Where's your manager?"

She went to find him and I stood there waiting.

He came out. "Mr. De Luca!"
"I want a table for two." I cut to the chase.
"Yes, of course. Right this way."

He led us to a table and placed down our menus.

"Give me your best wine selection." I instructed.
"Yes, sir. I'll have that right out."

I looked at Zoe sitting across from me.

"Is this how you plan on apologizing? Wine and dine?"
"I have nothing to apologize for."
"Are you serious?" she asked me.
"If I did, I would have apologized. I don't take blame I don't deserve and apologizing for a fault that wasn't mine is similar to lying. I don't lie."

She just stared at me. She looked like she was thinking.

"I will tell you what I promised to tell you." I stated.

The manager came back with a wine bottle in a pail of ice and two glasses.

She took it and began pouring herself a glass to the rim. Me and the manager both watched as she drank down half of it like it was juice.

"Give us a minute." I told him.