Chapter 70: You Remembered

I woke up with a pounding headache and a thirst for water.

I got out of my bed and brushed my teeth with the lights off because they would not be helpful for my migraine.

When I finished, I went out towards the kitchen.

Something caught my eye.

On the couch laid Marco using his coat as a pillow. He slept on his back with his arms crossed.

I looked at the living room window and walked over to it then shut the curtains.

I didn't have the willpower to make breakfast, so I just grabbed a bottle of water and sipped.

There was a bag on the counter and I opened it.

Inside was...

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

There was a small to go box that I saw held a slice of cake and with it...was the diamond necklace I saw over half a year ago when Marco and I went to the jewelry store. I thought he would've given it to Viviana by now.

"I thought I'd be gone before you'd wake up." he stated and I saw him putting his long black winter overcoat on over his suit jacket.

"You still have this?" I asked him.

He looked at me holding up the necklace.

"Every time I wanted to give it to you, something came up." he replied. "Until I just forgot about it."
"It was for me?"
"You liked it."
I scoffed. "Yea, but it was expensive." I quickly remembered who I was talking to.

I looked back at him, "Are you sure it's for me?"
"I'm positive." He stood up. "It always has been."
"Thank you." I grinned. I couldn't believe it. This necklace had broken my heart twice. Only to find out it was supposed to be mine all along.

I expected him to not respond to my gratitude.
"You're welcome." he stated.

I smiled.

I went for the small to go box of cake and grabbed the plastic fork that was inside of the bag. I liked that he remembers how much I like chocolate cake. I'm a big sweets person, but I think chocolate cake is my favorite.

I tried a bite. Cake for breakfast.

"Is it good?" he asked.
I smiled. "It is. Do you wanna try it?"
"I don't eat sweet stuff."
"You said that the last time. Plus, you've had pancakes." I walked over to him with it.
"Without syrup." he argued.
I rolled my eyes. "Try it."

He just stared at me. I scooped some onto the fork and held it close to his lips. "Please?"

He ate the bite off of the fork and chewed. I smiled at him. "It's good, isn't it?"
"Sweet." he stated.
"Well, it's cake." I snickered.

We just stared at each other.

He walked past me and towards the front door. I watched him leave.

"Wha-..." I put the cake and fork down then hurried after him.

He was walking out of the door to the parking garage.

"Wait!" I exclaimed and jogged after him.

He stood next to his car and watched me approach him.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.
"I wasn't supposed to stay that long." he replied.
"So...that's it? You just wanted to bring me a necklace and tell me what you do? Nothing more?"

He didn't answer.

"I wish you'd talk to me. I want you to tell me how you feel. Instead of leaving without a word, can you just tell me what it is? Tell me it's over or something. Just please stop going silent and making me come up with a conclusion on my own. Because each time I do, it's apparently wrong." I stated. "I need to hear it from you. Do you not like me anymore?"

He just stared.

I waited for a response. I couldn't read behind that nonchalant expression.

I sighed. "Oka-..."
"I'll be back in an hour." he interrupted.

I looked at him.

"Don't go anywhere." he instructed.

I nodded and he hopped into his car. I watched him drive off.

A smile slid onto my face and I happily walked back to my apartment.

Maybe I was getting my hopes up again but I was still excited. I didn't have a negative feeling about it. Nothing in me felt like it was the wrong decision. I was happy. I wouldn't tell anyone, though. Especially not Nikki. Not while she's on her trip. I'd stress her out and she'd worry about me and probably say it was a bad decision. I made it inside and went to take a shower.

I just remembered that dark vehicle with the tinted windows and how I knew how expensive that car was. I knew it was unlikely to see a bunch of them around and I took a chance. I was right. It was him parked on the side of the street, making me feel like I was being watched. It also explained why I never felt scared of the feeling. Just nervous.

I thought about the past six months when he wasn't there and each month Nikki would ask me if I was okay. I kept wondering why the pain lingered for so long. We'd only known each other for four months prior to us being apart but it hurt like I'd known him for years. Maybe because those four months felt stretched out, seeing him all day everyday for those four months. Him being the first and only person I felt comfortable sharing my body with.

I believed he showed too much care for me for him to have just thought of me as luck. The incident with my inhaler, him making sure people put out their cigarettes in my presence instead of telling me to wait outside. He beat up people just because they raised their voice at me. I don't condone that behavior but he still did it. Was all of this true or was I just trying to spare my own feelings and save myself from crying again?

I stepped out of the shower and contemplated what to wear.

I just put on shorts and a tank top. He never told me what he was coming back for so I didn't want to get dressed up for no reason.

I stood in the mirror and just stared at myself to see if this was how I wanted to look.

I wished I could call Nikki to ask what to do, but I was pretty sure it was night where she was and plus she'd probably ask me where I was going or what I was doing that required fashion advice.

I changed tops.

Then stared into the mirror again.

The next top was too bright. I changed again.

I put on a casual black dress. It was easy and it was dark. It was the same dress I wore to work months ago and was embarrassed about because it was unprofessional. I could wear it without a blazer now.

I got on my phone and saw there was only five minutes left to when he said he'd be back. I played a game on my phone as I waited.

But there was soon a knock on the door.

I went to answer it, but first I slipped back into the bathroom and spritzed myself with perfume. Then spent a few seconds fanning it away so it didn't smell too recent or too strong.

I walked to the door and stood in front of it.

Why was I nervous?

I opened it and he stood there in front of me.

"Hi..." I greeted.

"Hi." he replied.