Chapter 76: Ma

De Luca:

They'd found where the address led to and sure enough, it was somewhere we suspected my mother would be.

The next five weeks were busy planning how we'd break in and break out. They were also filled with Zoe's friend coming back, threatening me, insulting me, talking about her engagement, and Zoe helping her plan.
I could've fired her for that but I understood where she was comin' from so I let it slide.
And Zoe would kick my ass if I fired her friend for that anyway. So either way I lose.

"So...you're just gonna walk in?" Zoe asked me while I adjusted the strap to my sling.
"Mhm."
"But...it's a high security prison...with guards. And you're injured."
It's cute she worries.
I took her head and kissed it. "It'll be fine."
"Motherfucker, don't say it so emotionlessly! Be serious!"
I did laugh a bit because I didn't mean to come off emotionless. "I'm sorry. But I'm taking it seriously. I'm not worried and neither should you be."
"You have to promise me that you'll come back." she stated.
I looked at her.
"Promise!" she commanded.
I'd come back because I have a reason to.
"I promise." I replied. I kissed her lips and then her cheeks. "I'll be back late today or tomorrow. Don't leave. Stay here. I'll know if you do. And I won't be happy."
"I promise I won't leave."
"Good."

I'd be leaving her at Gabriel's house for safety reasons. I'm watched by too many people and Caio is still alive and well and knows she exists. She's not staying home alone anymore. I refuse.

The holding was in some disregarded woods in Utah. They hold some of the craziest assholes on the planet so it's only fitting Mattia may have put my mother there.

I grabbed the large duffel bag I was taking with me and headed out the door to the car I was being chauffeured in.
Just like she promised to stay put at my father's house, I had to promise I wouldn't drive with a broken arm. And I struggle to say no to those eyes.

I got in the suv and he drove off.

The moment we left the driveway, I got a text.

'Be careful please! No fighting!' she texted me.
I scoffed. 'I know bella. Don't worry.'

I sat back to prepare for the ride and let the stress overwhelm me.
My mother.
It's been 18 years.

My mother taught me how to fight. She'd kick my ass and demand I hit her back.
I'd say no and she'd hit me again.
I'd swing, she'd dodge, she'd hit me again.
She'd use knives in our fights. I got the scars to count how many times I'd lost and she'd mother me as if she wasn't close to murdering me in cold blood.

She's the reason I know how to shoot a gun.
For hours we were in that shooting range. I couldn't eat or sleep until I could hit every target.
When I did, she fed me like a king.

She's the reason I'm branded and not tatted.
It's in my blood. She wanted me to take it seriously. I accepted.

Gabriel ain't the same.
He lost his mind when she was gone. Resorted to alcohol.
For the next few years he'd drunkenly beat me. Not to teach me how to fight, just because he didn't know what else to do with his anger.
I was young and pushed down those stairs by my father.
I was threatened.
Beaten.
The reason he stopped was he got sober. Now all of a sudden he's a saint to the people he likes. But I can't forget the old him.

He's the reason I'm what they call "emotionless".
I'd be mad or sad and he'd tell me I didn't have the right to be because he'd just lost the love of his life. He said he should be the one moping around.
But if I laughed then I was insensitive and a asshole. I had no reason to laugh according to him.
Blames it that he lost the love of his life but he forgot I'd lost my mother.