Chapter 50: Safe Sleep

We'd left Gabriel's house and were pulling into Marco's driveway.

"I don't have any clothes," I stated.
"We'll figure it out." he replied.

He parked and we got out to walk inside.

I like his house. It wasn't my first time there, but it would be my first time spending the night. I was kind of excited. Especially when I remembered how comfortable his bed is.

We walked inside and he shut the door then led me upstairs to his room.

I followed behind.
When we reached, I sat on his bed and he went into his closet.

"Here's a t-shirt. I don't have anything small enough for you to wear as underwear or pants." he stated.
"It's okay. Can I use your shower?"
"Yea." He turned the bathroom light on for me.

I took the shirt and walked into the bathroom.

I hated that I had nothing here. No skincare routine. Nothing for my hair. No underwear. No toothbrush. But I'd rather not have any of that than be at my place. He even knew what door was ours. He'd walked me to it after the first outing we went on.

I tried to get those thoughts out of my head and just started my shower.

I stripped out of my dress and stepped into the shower.

I could see the shelf that held all of his products and I got curious.
He wasn't a 2 in 1 shampoo kind of guy so that was nice.
Which made me realize he's actually cleaner than I expected him to be.
I never thought he'd be dirty. I just thought he'd be disorganized or maybe not neat.
But everything, including his car, is spotless.

I looked at the shampoo and wondered how a shampoo could seem expensive. This looked like it costs an abundance of money.
I opened it and sniffed.
That's amazing.
I smelled it again.
It was so nice.
I quickly put it back before I grew an addiction.

I looked at his shower head and twisted it. It had different modes and pressures. I was shocked. I just kept twisting and changing it in awe.
Then I remembered he's probably wondering what the hell I'm doing in here.
I fixed it back then finally began showering.

I stepped out of the shower once I was done and found a towel to dry off with.
I thought about how strange it might be to sleep in just a shirt with no underwear while being in a bed with him. I'd slept naked with him before, but for obvious reasons that was different.

I slid on the shirt and plopped my clothes from earlier into his hamper.

I walked out and saw he was gone.

I wondered where and looked in his closet. It was empty.

I followed out of the room and down the stairs.

I heard something shut and walked towards it then almost bumped into him as he left his kitchen.

"Oh hi..." I greeted.
"You're supposed to be laying down." he stated.
"I was wondering where you went."
He handed me a water bottle that was in his hand.
"Oh. Thank you." I took it.
"Upstairs." he instructed.
I followed directions and headed back upstairs.

I sat back on his bed and made sure his shirt covered most of me.
I'm not very small or short but he's so tall and muscly that I looked like I was drowning in it.
I opened the water bottle as I watched him maneuver around his closet.
He grabbed clothes then walked to the bathroom and shut the door.

I heard the shower turn on.
My phone began to ring.

It was Nikki. I answered.
"Oh my god I was so scared! I'm so sorry! I left my phone in my bag and I didn't see your call! Are you okay?! Do you need me to come get you?! Where are you?!"
"I'm okay..." I replied.
"What happened?!"
"Um...You were right. I shouldn't have gone."
"Did he...try anything?"
"Yea..."
"Did he...succeed?"
"No. I jumped out of his car and ran as far as I could before my asthma caught up to me."
"I'm so sorry I wasn't there to pick up the phone, Lucky. I'm so so sorry. I promise I'll keep it on my person."
"It's okay. You're at work, I don't blame you at all."
She blames herself whenever I experience hardships like she actually believes she's my mother. It's never been her fault.
"Where are you now? Do you need me to come get you?"
"No, I'm safe."
"You're not at home, right?"
"No..."
"Okay. So you're at your parents' house?"
"No..."
"Then...where are you...?"

It was silent.

"Zoe..."
"Hm?"
"Where are you?"
"I think you know where..." I replied.
"Zoe!"
"We're not doing anything!" I said quietly. "He was just the only other person I could call and he raced over to get me. He also explained what happened yesterday. But he hasn't touched me once other than kiss my head and he's letting me stay the night at his place so I'm not scared."
I heard her take a deep breath.
"I know you don't like it, but even though we're a little mad at him right now, he's still safer than me being home alone. He's never touched me without my consent or made me uncomfortable. I'm upset, but I'm not scared of him."
"Okay. Okay it's fine. As long as you're not scared and he doesn't touch you," she agreed.
"Yea..."
"Does he know what happened?"
"Yea, I told him."
"Okay," she stated.
"Are you still at work?"
"Yea, for another four or five hours."
"Okay."
"Call me if you want me to come get you. I'm keeping my phone in my pocket from now on," she claimed.
"Okay, I will."
"Good. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Okay. Bye. Love you."
"Bye. Love you."
We hung up.

What would I do without my mom Nikki?

I heard the shower shut off.

I sat there as I sipped my water and just further examined his room. It's really nice.

The door to his bathroom opened and he stood there in pajama pants and a black t-shirt.

"You're supposed to be asleep." he stated.
"I was waiting."
"For what?"
"I don't know which side you prefer..."
"I'm usually on the left." he answered.
"My left or your left?"
"Lay down."

I moved his blankets and slipped under to lay down. He got in next to me.

"You smell really nice." I stated.
"So do you."
He lays with one arm under his head and the other over his chest while staring at the ceiling. I was on my side and facing him.
"Thank you for coming to get me earlier."
"You called."
"Yea."
"I wouldn't ignore it."
That made me smile just a bit.

He turned his head and looked at me.

"Do you think we can get the suits and dresses tailored tomorrow?" I asked.
"I don't want to talk about that right now."
"Okay."

I sat up when I had a question.
He looked at me.

"When will you tell me?" I asked.
"Tell you what?"
"Your second job and what else you do."
"It's too complicated."
"I'll try my hardest to understand."
"I can't tell you."
"Why not?"
"I just can't."
"Is it because of Carmine?"
He didn't answer.
"He doesn't have to know I know."
"I don't break promises."
"But you promised me you'd tell me at some point." I obviously knew. Just not in as much detail as I wanted him to tell me.
"I don't want you hurt." he stated.
I looked down at my lap.

"One day," he promised.
"One day?" I looked back at him as he looked at me. "Do I get to pick the day?"
"Not this week."
"So I can pick any day that isn't this week?"
He nodded.
"Your wedding day. I want it then. When you get the notebooks you have to explain it all to me."
He stared at me.
"Do we have a deal?" I asked and held my hand out.
He looked at it and I could tell he was thinking.

He finally took my hand and shook it. "Okay."

I laid back down, but I was on my stomach and looking over him at his face.
My hand held his cheek while I looked at him.
"I hope you don't think I'll judge you for whatever it is. I won't." I fixed his hair a bit then looked back at his eyes. They stared at my lips.
I lowered myself and kissed his cheek.

I like when his cheeks grow that pink hue. I think it's sweet.
I laid down with my head on his chest and I could hear his heartbeat. It was faster than I expected.

He reached over and turned off his lamp.