Chapter 38: Caio

I sat across from Josh at a deli he enjoys.

"Are you gonna tell me what's wrong now?" he asked.
"I keep telling you, nothing is wrong."
"And I keep knowing you're lying. When I picked you up you looked like you'd been crying. Is work too hectic or something?"
Something like that...
"Got a mean boss?"
Technically.
"Got fired?"
Honestly I kind of wish I had.
"No." I replied and took a bite of my wrap.
"Then what is it?"
I looked at him.

I refused to tell my ex that I was crushing on my boss, slept with him (twice), and basically came between him and another woman who are supposed to get married soon.

"Nothing. Just one of those days I guess." I answered.
"If you say so."
"Yea."

I checked the time.

"We've been here for a while. I think I need to head back." I told him.
"Okay, sure. Do you wanna take that with you? We were here for a while and you didn't eat that much."
"Yea, I will." I stated.
"Okay good."
We began packing up our food.

That was strange. He'd never worried about me eating before.

We gathered everything and hopped in his car.

"Hey, so...while I still have you here...can I ask you a question?" he offered as we drove off.
"Sure. What's wrong?"
"Nothing, it's just...there's this dinner party that my branch is holding and...I was wondering...even though it may seem last minute...but I was wondering...if...you'd...maybe...want to be my date...?" he posed.
"Oh! Um..."
"It doesn't have to be romantic or anything. It's just...everyone else is bringing their partners. I guess I didn't want to feel solo."

I thought about it.

"You don't have to say yes. I don't want you to feel pressured." he stated.
There's a first.

We arrived at my office building and as we did, I saw Mr. De Luca walking inside.

"Yes." I answered.
"Really?!"
"Yea. I'll be your date. When is it?"
"It's this Friday. I know that's soon, but..."
"Okay. I'll see you then."
"Great. Cool." he smiled.

I got out of the car and walked towards the entrance of the building.
I turned around and saw Josh still there with his hands over his face and his head thrown back. I snickered then walked inside.

I made it upstairs to his office and knocked since the last time I intruded.

"Yea." he responded.
I walked in.

He was sitting at his desk and looked up at me. I closed the door behind myself.

"How was lunch?" he asked.
"It was okay. I didn't finish it so I brought it back with me for later."
"I see that."

I took a seat on one of his couches.

"I have someone you need to talk to over the phone." he stated.
"Okay..."
I looked at him and he was dialing.
I listened to it ring and wondered what was happening.

It picked up.
"Speak." Mr. De Luca commanded.
"I'm sorry, Marco's assistant, for the way I spoke to you over the phone."
"And?" Mr. De Luca asked.
Mr. Stefano took a deep breath. "You're not a whore. You are a beautiful young lady with a bright future ahead of you."
I was surprised to say the least. "Thank you..." I replied.
"Don't thank him for that shit." Mr. De Luca responded and hung up the phone.

That reminded me of something.
"Oh, I was told to tell you that someone called." I stated.
"Who?"
"A man named Caio."
His head shot up at me.

"I guess you were expecting his call." I stated.
He grabbed his phone and began pressing buttons and scrolling.

He held it to his ear then got up and walked out of the room.