Chapter 40: Our Uncle

I was in the middle of getting ready this morning when I received a text.

'Drive yourself today.' Mr. De Luca sent.

What the hell...

I sent a thumbs up emoji even though I felt insulted a bit.

I did the finishing touches to my makeup and checked how I looked as a whole in the mirror before heading out.
I grabbed my keys and left the apartment. I don't really see Nikki in the morning anymore now that she works evenings and doesn't need to wake up early.

I reached my car and hopped in before driving out of the garage. I couldn't help but wonder what today would be like after my question yesterday.

"I'm sure it's fine." I thought aloud.

After about fifteen minutes, I arrived at the office and parked.

I figured I'd probably be wanted at his office, so I walked inside and headed to the elevator rather than stopping at the front desk to ask that nonchalant receptionist.

I stepped out of the elevator once it opened and walked to his office door.
I knocked like I was supposed to.

I didn't get a response.

I knocked again.

Nothing.

Maybe that's why he didn't want to pick me up, he'd be late.
I turned around to find some place to sit and wait.
But the door finally opened.

I turned around and saw Viviana leaving...adjusting her dress and fixing her hair.
Mr. De Luca stood behind her looking at me and wiping his lower lip with his finger.

I just stood there.

"Sorry to leave you waiting." Viviana stated. "Getting practice in for the honeymoon."
She showed me her hand before turning around and making out with Mr. De Luca. His hand held the small of her back as the two focused on one another.
I looked elsewhere. Awkward.

My phone dinged and I looked at it.
'Be honest, it's manly that I bought a chai latte this morning right?' Josh texted. He sent me a picture of him staring intensely at the cup. It made me giggle as I texted back.
'Yes very manly. The manliest.'
'Don't you lie to me.' he sent and I laughed again.

I stumbled backwards as Viviana was shoved towards me.
"Get out." Mr. De Luca commanded.
"Wha-..." she looked at me as if she expected me to do something. I shrugged. "You talk to me like that again and I'm taking this ring off!"
He just stared at her and she walked off towards the elevator.

"Get in here." he demanded and walked back inside.
I saw the elevator close with Viviana inside and just walked into Mr. De Luca's office.

I continued texting Joshua.
'Does it at least taste manly?'
'It does not but I'm willing to put my masculinity on hold. It's too delicious.'
I snickered at his response.
'If anything, that makes me manlier.'
'You're 100% right.' I agreed and smiled.

"Are you done?" I heard and picked my head up.
Mr. De Luca was glaring at me with his hands in his pockets.
"Yea, sorry. Josh was being funny."
He didn't respond.

I put my phone into my purse. "So um..."
I thought of what to say.
"Oh, do you need me to help plan?" I asked.
"Plan what?"
"The wedding. I figured since I'm an assistant that I'd...you know...assist."
He looked confused as he stared at me.
"I know I made a big deal about it before, but...I realized it's not fair for me to be upset with you because you didn't feel the same way that I did during...what we've done. I can be upset with you for making me feel like it was more and like I was a homewrecker, but again I should've remembered. So...I'm happy for your engagement. Whatever you need, I'll get done." I nodded.
He walked away from me.