Chapter 56: Hurt Bad

De Luca:

I sat in the car on my way to the address that Mickey sent me.

I'd almost crashed twice from just zoning out and thinking about her from earlier. There's gotta be somethin' wrong with me.

I pulled into the driveway of the house I assumed he rents.

I took my gun out of my glove compartment then slid it into the back of my pants.

I walked to his front door and knocked.
I'd only give him three seconds before I knocked again.
He failed. I banged on it harder.
I could hear him walking towards the door.

"I'm coming, relax." he stated.

He unlocked it and the minute he saw a glimpse of my face, he tried slamming it shut before my hand forcefully stopped it.

I pushed the door back open and walked inside as he backed away.

I slammed it shut behind me. "Sit down."
"Why are you here?"

I took out my gun and used the barrel of it to scratch my head. He took the hint and sat down. I took the chair across from him.

I looked at him and could see the deep cut wounds on the left side of his face that I'd left earlier and my initial carved into his right cheek.

"Joshua?" I asked.
"Yes..."
"I don't like what you did to my friend, Josh." I said and stared at the painting on his wall.
"What friend...?"

I looked at him.

I shot him in his knee and listened to his scream echo throughout his house while he fell out of his chair in pain.

"Good acoustics." I admitted.
"I told her I was sorry!" he shouted.

I shot him in his thigh and he screamed again.

"Josh, you scare her and I don't like that. I don't want her to be afraid of nothin'." I stated as he cried on the floor.
He sniffed. "I was drunk and it was an accident."
"I'll shoot you again, bitch. You knew what you were doin'."

He didn't answer.

I stood up. "I ain't gonna kill you. Word would travel around and she'd find out and know who did it. I've grown very fond of her and I don't like when she's mad at me, so I ain't gonna kill you."

He looked at me while he laid on the floor.

"But..." I began. I took my suit jacket back off and began unbuttoning the cuffs to my dress shirt. "I am gonna hurt you...really...really bad."

I rolled up my sleeves.

~~~

I took a seat back in my original chair and wiped my hands down before I began dialing a phone number.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Got a gift for you." I said and stared at the body unconsciously laying on the floor in its broken state.

"What'd you do?"
"Broke somethin'. He's still breathin', but they're gonna try puttin' this on me and I got shit to do."
"He anybody important?"
"A nobody."
"Okay, that makes it easy."
"Got my fingerprints all over it." I replied while wiping over my knuckles.
"You can't get your guys to clean it off?"
"No. I'm in his house."
"Damn it. That makes it harder."
"Well you're the police chief. I'm sure you can handle it. I wouldn't have gotten you the job if you couldn't." I stated and tossed the towel onto my shoulder.
"Does damn near killing the other guy count as 'getting me the job'?"
"You got the job, don't you?"
"Yea..."
"Then stop bitchin'."
"I'll handle it." he stated through a deep breath.
"Good."