III. Romeo & Juliet?

~~~

It had been a couple weeks of working at the bookstore. Elizabeth seemed to be put to work alone more often. She preferred it that way if she had to be honest. She was now familiar with everything and very confident that she could run the place on her own.

Elizabeth was finishing up with a customer when the glass door opened, queuing the shop's bells to jingle above it as they do.

"Thank you so much!" The little old woman grinned taking her paper bag of books she'd purchased.

"Of course. Have a wonderful afternoon!" Elizabeth smiled at the sweet woman as she exited the shop. Elizabeth looked up to notice the person who had entered the store a moment ago. His back was to her as he examined a few of the bookshelves across the room. In all his years of existence he never thought he'd be this nervous to talk to anyone.

He began pacing through the isles slowly, carefully looking through each shelf. Elizabeth took in his appearance, he wore a dark grey button up coat with black slacks. He was quite tall, his hair was bronze. He was very fair, even more pale than normal, she thought. She couldn't quite get a look at his face. She realized she had been staring and quickly walked over to another isle to restock some books she had left on a cart.

She had gotten most of the books put away when one in particular caught her eye. It had no title, but odd symbols on it. The book itself was a dark charcoal grey color. Something about the book called to her. She traced her fingers over the symbol of the book. She took the book and slid it onto a shelf behind the register.

"Hello" A voice spoke up behind her. She quickly spun to reveal the boy from earlier. She now noticed his face. His perfectly chiseled features and his.. golden eyes? She pulled herself together as she hadn't spoken in a moment.

"Hi, how can I help you?" She put on her cashier voice, feeling embarrassed for staring.

For the first time he was able to see her up close. He was taken back by her beauty. Her bright green eyes, her brunette locks that fell past her shoulders, her rose cheeks and full lips. He placed a book on the counter between them.

"I'd like to buy this book." He spoke quickly, seeming distracted by his own thoughts. Elizabeth grabbed the book to scan it's barcode. Just before glancing back at the title.

"Romeo and Juliet?" She asked with a small smile.

He shut his eyes for a brief moment and shook his head almost mentally facepalming himself,

".. Yes a uh gift for my sister." He was too distracted when picking a book to purchase. He couldn't have picked any other book he hadn't already read year after year in high school, he thought. Too occupied attempting to read her thoughts but barely got anything.

"That's very kind, I love Shakespeare." Elizabeth smiled at his awkwardness.

"Yes, I admire his work as well." He let out the slightest laugh along with his grin. She was placing the book in a paper bag, he raced through his thoughts to find his other words.

"I'm Edward Cullen, I don't believe I've seen you around before?" He spoke politely.

This town must not get many new people, Elizabeth thought. "I actually just moved here from Brooklyn." She gave a soft smile, "My name's Elizabeth." She handed him his book, he reached for it while their fingers slightly touched for a brief second.

He pulled away a bit quickly. He blinked a few times, "Elizabeth.." he spoke. "That was my mother's name." He said a bit fascinated.

Before Elizabeth could speak she was interrupted. "Excuse me! Can you reach that book up there for me?" A little old man asked pointing to a red book on a top shelf. Elizabeth hurried to reach for the book and handed it to the man. After he thanked her and walked away, Elizabeth returned to Edward standing by the front door about to exit but still standing there, like he was debating thoughts.

"Why did you leave Brooklyn?" He asked curiously. Immediately regretting it, he saw a rush of pain and loss in her thoughts.

"It's... a long story." She looked down as she spoke. Trying her hardest to obtain her emotions and stop the memories from flooding her mind.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to intrude at all. Please forgive me?" He now stepped to the register where she stood again. Her emotions were gone already. She worked hard at pushing them away and focusing on her positivity.

"Don't worry about it." Was all she responded.

"Has anyone shown you around?" Edward spoke up again desperately changing the subject.

"No I actually haven't made any friends really, I suppose. Just work and home." She shrugged. She realized she told her self she wasn't going to submerge herself into work again and that's exactly what she'd already been doing.

"May I have the pleasure of showing you around this small town yet full of wonderful scenery?" Edward asked her full of hope in his voice. 

Elizabeth couldn't help but smile, "I'd love to. I get off work at 4 actually." Elizabeth glanced at the clock on the wall beside her. Only two more hours until then.

"I can pick you up from here when you're off, if that's alright with you?" He asked her feeling enthused.

"That'd be perfect. So I'll see you then" She sent another smile his way which he returned as he slowly walked out the door. He let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. He didn't realize talking to her would be this nerve racking for him. It was an odd feeling he wasn't used to. But he was more than ready to know her

...Elizabeth.

~~~