XXI. Safe & Sound

After gliding through the air and taking in the view of her hex she created, Elizabeth landed softly to her feet as she now approached the Cullen's home. Before she could take another step into the home, she was engulfed into a pair of cold arms.

"I thought we said a few minutes, is everything alright? What happened out there?" Edward asked caressing the back of her head.

Elizabeth slowly shook her head pulling back to finally meet his eyes. "It's okay. We're safe now."

Edward furrowed his brows not understanding what she meant. She proceeded to share her thoughts with him, allowing him to fully see her mind. Her eyes glowed a scarlet red, as did his as he watched the powerful scene replay.

~~~

"What about the people that live here? I'm not sure about keeping them trapped in this town for who knows how long," Esme asked as the vampire family had all gathered as Elizabeth spoke.

Elizabeth shook her head, "Mortals can come and go as they please. Any immortals however, cannot enter or exit the hex."

"Is this permanent?" Carlisle spoke up as well.

"I created the hex, I most certainly can take it down when needed." Elizabeth reassured.

Rosalie stood up feeling unsure still, "So we're just supposed to stay trapped?"

"Rose, surely we're better off constantly looking over our shoulders for anymore possible attackers," Edward said sarcastically. She looked down as she sat down again beside Emmet.

"The hex goes on for miles, I tried to cover just up to the state's borders. I can try to extend it if that would be better," Elizabeth suggested not wanting to upset anyone.

"No," Edward spoke now. "You've already done so much, you can't overwork yourself," He spoke seeing the faint dark circles under her eyes and reading how exhausted and drained she felt from Jasper.

"Are we sure of immortals being unable to get through?" Jasper asked concerned.

Elizabeth thought for a moment, "I haven't exactly tested it I suppose, as I'm able to go through it as I please."

Emmet spoke up now, "Well what are we waiting for then? Let's go check this thing out." He spoke standing to his feet.

"Surely it can wait until tomorrow, Emmet," Edward suggested taking Elizabeth's hand in his, hoping to take her upstairs to get some rest after the events of the day.

Elizabeth shrugged, "I don't mind, I'll rest as soon as we get back," She sent him a reassuring smile causing him to only pull her closer to him.

Still while in Edwards arms, Elizabeth lifted her hands bringing her red glow around the Cullen family, as she created the red mist that would teleport them to the inner edge of the hex. In only a second they were no longer in the Cullen's luxurious home, but in the dark wooded area that stood near of the state's edge.

The seven vampires observed the area they now were in before Emmet spoke. "So, where is it?"

"Right over there," Elizabeth pointed in front of them.

The Cullens all looked only to see nothing, but Rosalie spoke being the one to notice. "I see it, there's a faint sign of it," She pointed to a red shimmer behind one of the large pine trees.

Elizabeth walked out of Edward's embraced arms, after taking a few steps she stopped and lightly traced her fingers along the air leaving a faint trail of red mist as if she were brushing them against a hidden wall.