VIII. Intimidating

Edward spoke to Elizabeth while they sat towards the middle of the field of flowers and greenery. He explained to her about his family and how they became one.

"My family and I, we're different from others of our kind. We think of ourselves as vegetarians, because we only survive on the blood of animals. It keeps us strong, but you're never fully satisfied."

"So my blood doesn't intrigue you?" Elizabeth raised an eyebrow.

Edwards shook his head. "I didn't say that. Over the years we've learned to control our thirst. I wouldn't say yours isn't intriguing, something about your scent in particular draws me to you. Like a need to be near you, there's comfort in it." Elizabeth's scent was a warm inviting scent. It reminded him of cinnamon in the fall time. Or a mixture of baking spices.

Elizabeth watched him as he continued. "And like I had said about controlling our thirst, my father Carlisle I'd say is gifted with it. He's never had human blood in his whole existence, along with my sister Rosalie."

"300 years?" Elizbeth asked with shock.

Edward nodded. "Many of our kind are gifted. Emmet, he's stronger than most others. Jasper, he can change the emotions of those around him. And Alice.."

"Alice can see the future. Her visions are subjective, since they change based on people's decisions." He looked to her.

Her green eyes stared back at his. "Did she see me coming?" She asked.

He smiled a bit looking away from her. "Yes. My family was actually very worried about a so called witch arriving to Forks." He almost seemed to be holding back his laughter as he continued. "So of course that's why I had to come see for myself this, oh so terrifying witch herself."

Elizabeth furrowed her brows. "What are you saying?"

"They'd love to meet you, now. I've told them all about you." He continued.

"So you don't think I can be intimidating is what I'm hearing?" Elizabeth asked crossing her arms.

Edward shook his head. "I never said that, of course you can be."

She stared at him not believing a word he says. "Fine, I'll show you intimidating."

Now Edward's brows furrowed while red psionic energy laced between Elizabeth's fingers. Slowly her eyes began to glow red just before she was lifted off the ground using her psionic energy to effortlessly propel herself into the air.

The red mist glowed around her hands as she used it to raise two giant pine trees from behind her and threw them across the field with an outburst they crashed into the forest floor ahead of her causing a loud ruckus rumbling through all the trees.

Edward was stood up now as he watched her land back to her feet. Her eyes still glowed red as she tilted her head and stared at him. He watched her too, intensely and in the blink of an eye her lips were now at his ear as she spoke in a dark whisper. "And there's more."

She raised her hand to his temple about to send waking nightmares into his mind, but stopped herself. He turned to face her worriedly looking into her glowing red eyes that now faded back to their green color. She couldn't do it to him. She never wanted to hurt him, she felt soft when he stared into her eyes.

In a quick moment, she raised the two destructed trees back into the air and carefully planted their roots back into the ground where they once were. She dropped her arms to her sides.

Edward took a step closer to her as he spoke. He took both her hands in his as he caressed them.

"Incredible.." He spoke softly.

She met his eyes and felt a smile creeping onto her lips. "I suppose I'll have to settle for that."

Her smile slowly faded as she looked down and continued. "There's a darkness to my abilities. I tend to refrain from using it as much as I can."

Edward raised her chin with his finger causing her to look back up at him. "I believe we have something in common." He spoke softly admiring her features.

Elizabeth furrowed her brows in confusion, waiting for him to continue. "Not only do we share a darkness that comes with what makes us different, but I never told you my own gift."

He glanced around the meadow before he spoke. "I can read minds. I can read everyone's mind I've come across apart from yours." He looked back at her again meeting her gaze.

"I'm a bit envious of your ability to see my mind." He let out a slight laugh with his small smile.

Elizabeth returned the small smile almost in a smirk. "It seems the tables have turned for you?" A thought came across Elizabeth's mind, she remembered her dream. Her dream where she showed him her thoughts, her mind, her memories. Only she could allow him to access her thoughts.

"You see, if only I could know what was going on in that beautiful head of yours." Edward spoke again shaking his head.

Elizabeth gave a slight shrug. "Some things are meant to be sacred." She said smugly.

The weather had gotten even more chilly as it was almost dark out, sending shivers through Elizabeth's body.

"I'd like to take you to meet my family." Edward spoke again, wanting to also get her out of the cold air.

Elizabeth's heart stopped for a moment. "N-now? Are you sure? I'm no where near presentable after the overpour of rain that drenched me."

He held back his laughter at her nervousness. "We can stop at your place first if you'd like."

After she hesitantly agreed they made their way back down the mountain. Edward drove them to Elizabeth's small apartment where she frantically freshened up and rummaged through her closet for a change of clothes.

She worried of her appearance, not only as in most people's case but because of them knowing she has the powers of a witch. What if they thought of her to be horrid and wretched? She wanted to be presentable and gain their respect.

Elizabeth stood in front of her full length mirror staring at a her outfit which consisted of black tights, black knee length boots, and a grey trench coat covering her black knit sweater dress.

"You look beautiful." Edward's voice broke the silence of her small bedroom from the doorway where he now stood. She hid her slight startle by his sudden entrance and rushed to find her hairbrush and combed through her knotted hair.

"Okay, I guess I'm ready."

~