XVIII. A reflection

"You've never experienced anything like this before?" Carlisle spoke cautiously eyeing the brunette girl as the family had gathered amongst their sectional sofa as the afternoon's light hid above the gloomy clouds.

Edward stood beside Elizabeth carefully holding her hands in his. "No, never it was so odd,"

"Could it have been something tied with the book?" Esme spoke up as well.

In one quick moment, Rosalie sped to bring the book that was once on the other room's table where the incident occurred, gently placing it on the glass coffee table that centered the room. The Cullens eyed the book, Elizabeth shook her head in response. "All I can remember is the letters in the book's pages changing. They looked to be some sort of runes,"

"This has to be Aro's work," Edward clenched his jaw after he spoke. He desperately controlled the anger that flowed within him when thinking of the clan of vampires in Volterra.

Alice looked down, "I still can't see anything, the block he must somehow have is strong, I'm sorry," she spoke almost in a whisper feeling bad her gift was no use at the moment. Elizabeth sent her a look of reassurance not to worry.

"The runes I saw resembled some I'd seen previously actually," Elizabeth furrowed her brows for a moment. "I came across a book at my work, it looked almost ancient with the symbols on it aside from it's condition, although I never got the chance to look through it myself,"

Alice spoke up behind the sofa, "Do you still have the book?"

Elizabeth gave a nod, "I'd left it back home in my apartment,"

With that Elizabeth stood up, "Maybe there's answers as to what those runes mean, if I can translate them with the book I can see what overcame me,"

"And what if the book's runes only lead to another attempt in taking over your mind?" Edward spoke with concern as he now stood up too beside her looking to her with worrisome eyes.

Elizabeth looked forward knowing exactly where she'd last left the ancient book. Her mind eager to receive answers.

"Only one way to find out," were the last words spoken as she laced her fingers with Edwards cold ones with a red mist of psionic energy glowing in the room. The mist taking the two away with it.

~~~

"I know I left it here," Elizabeth sighed in frustration as she threw books and miscellaneous objects out of her dresser. Edward attempted to catch a few of what she may consider valuables, setting them aside as he aided in her search.

"We'll find it, don't worry," Edward reassured her.

A groan escaped her lips before she raised her hands forming her red energy around them and scouring the entire apartment with much more ease. Easily each and every possible hidden area of the small apartment had been ransacked by the psionic energy only to yet again be left with nothing.

Elizabeth dropped to one of the dining chairs in defeat bringing her hands to her temples as she sat in thought. Edward slowly made his way towards her softly rubbing a hand on her back, before bringing her a glass of water requesting to her that she hydrate for a moment as he continued searching for the mischievous book.

Her finger's traced the across the rim of the glass only eyeing the clear substance still lost in thought. Only for her green orbs to catch a glimpse of movement in the cup's liquid. Her eyes squinted at the small yet forceful looking waves that crashed at the cup's surface. She felt herself growing dizzy at the sight and shook her head.

Shoving the glass away, she stood up and made her way towards her bedroom. She took in the surroundings of her messy room watching Edward carefully look through more of her drawers before her glance landed on the photo frame of her and her family that rested on her nightstand. The photo displayed her parents engulfing the twin brother and sister in a hug all sharing laughs. She tilted her head at the sight of the picture, upon seeing herself in the photo now moving and facing towards her with glowing red eyes and an evil grin.

Elizabeth turned quickly gripping the door's frame to steady herself. A screeching noise sounded in the kitchen above the dining table. The dim light that hung above it swayed vigorously back and forth from the high wind.

Edward still searched her bedroom as the mysterious wind now blew hard at her. Her brunette locks flew uncontrollably as she stepped forward instinctively towards the window to seal it shut. She stumbled her way there feeling as if the ground were moving causing the dizziness to affect her even more.

Finally reaching the window, Elizabeth placed her hands at the window sill only to come face to face with it already being shut. She looked up to find the wind had gone. Letting out a sigh of relief and confusion she looked in the window's evening display coming face to face with her reflection.

Elizabeth brought a hand to her face as she realized her reflection did not carry the same expression as her. The reflection exhibited the same glowing red eyes as the photo frame, this time with a hard glare. This reflection did not quite resemble Elizabeth, a craze of darkness around her eyes, as if she'd gone mad. All at once she was hit with a thousand bricks in her mind. She groaned clutching her hands to her head, stumbling backwards.

"No, no, no..." she whimpered in pain and fought hard against the pressure. 

Her body's flight response was letting her body go limp. Her knees weakened as she fell backwards. Her head neared the floorboards just inches away when Edward was at her side in a second, his hand carefully caressing the back of her head as her body landed gently in his arms.

~~~

Help...
I am suffocating, drowning... I am trapped in a coffin, I am... dead?

Elizabeth's fingertips traced across the velveteen fabric as she listened to voices that spoke softly. It was pitch black,  she tried hard to focus on her thoughts as she was lost.

Elizabeth sat upwards gasping for air. She scans her surroundings seeing the room she was in was dark. As her eyes adjust, she finally realizes where she is.

"How are you feeling?" Edward's voice spoke as he was now crouched beside her.

She was sat up on the Cullen's sofa. Edward's hand gently rubbing her knee.

Her brows furrowed as she brought a hand to her head, "Fine, I think,"

"What's the last thing you remember?"

Elizabeth focused hard, "I remember the wind. The wind was blowing hard I had to shut the window. But the window was already-"

She looked up to meet the rest of the Cullen family stood in the room now as well. A look of worry spread across their faces. A sensation that they knew something more was felt by her.

"What is it?" Elizabeth asked looking to each of them.

Edward held his gaze on Elizabeth until her eyes finally landed on his.

"Alice had a vision."

~~~