VII. The lion & the not so frail lamb

Elizabeth walked herself off the beach, letting the rain completely soak her from head to toe. So much for reading, she thought. She was near the woods now, walking along the side of the road when a familiar silver vehicle approached her.

The vehicle pulled up beside her, the driver's window rolling down. "Elizabeth, please let me take you home." His velvet voice sounded through her ears. She didn't look at him keeping her gaze forward and continued her pace.

"I can't let you walk all the way home.. please."

She stopped in her tracks and turned to face him. The car coming to an abrupt stop as well. Her green eyes meeting his gold ones. She felt herself growing weak seeing his pleading expression. But she'd learnt to be able to quickly harden her feelings.

"I'm not going home." She spun on her heels and walked into the dark green, misty forest.

Elizabeth didn't care to know him anymore. She'd grown used to being a lone wolf now. How could she trust a blood sucking creature? He'd only want her for her powers, who knows what else. She thought while speed walking with the rain still pouring on her head. She was so deep in thought she barely noticed when a cold hand reached for her shoulder.

"Don't." Quickly she reacted with force from the red energy in her palms sending him back meters away.

Edward landed hard on his back, feeling taken back by her strength. He swiftly pulled himself back on his feet. "I'm not trying to hurt you." He spoke keeping his distance as she pleaded.

The red psionic energy still glowing around her hands. "What do you want with me?" She kept her voice hard.

 "What do you want with me?" She kept her voice hard

Edward's voice remained calm as he spoke to her. "I can assure you I don't want anything more than to know you, Elizabeth."

"You knew who I was all along, don't treat me as a fool." She spoke through her teeth.

Edward shook his head. "It's true that I knew of your abilities, but there's a reason why I did. And as to why I want to know more to you."

He took a step closer causing Elizabeth to raise one of her hands in caution. "You looked through my mind last night, right?"

She didn't respond.

"Elizabeth, tell me what you saw."

She hesitated before speaking again. "I know you're not human. What could a blood sucking vampire want with me anyways?"

Edward clenched his jaw. "We're not the ones who are after you." He spoke quietly to her.

Elizabeth spoke again. "What do you mean we?"

The rain slowly stopped as they spoke. "My family and I, I can explain more once I get you home safely." He asked.

Elizabeth dropped both her hands slowly. "I'm in no hurry to go home." she crossed her arms.

"If you'd like to join me on my forest exploration I suppose you can." She turned making her way back on the dark green path beneath them.

In the blink of an eye, a cold breeze blew past her and he was standing in front of her. She stopped looking up at him. "Please, may I have the chance to show you somewhere you'll find breathtaking?" He held a hand out for her.

She hesitated looking down at his outstretched arm. "You can trust me." His beautiful voice rang in her ears, causing her to begin to melt at his words. She slowly slid her hand into his, his cold palm sending a shiver down her spine.

Edward let a slight smirk form on his face before picking her up in a swift instant and carrying her on his back all the way up the mountain. The light forest air blew through her light brown locks almost drying her hair completely. She'd never felt so weightless as he led them beyond the treetops and finally approaching the near top of the mountain.

He gently set her down, the sun had made it's brisk appearance from behind the clouds allowing it's rays to peak through the trees that covered the opening behind them. Elizabeth looked back at Edward before carefully stepping towards the opening herself.

She let out a small gasp at the sight in front of her. A perfect circle of trees surrounding the wide open meadow that laid in front of her eyes. A mixture of ivory and lilac flowers lacing the soft green grass beneath them. The warmth of the sun above them. Elizabeth stepped forward brushing her fingertips over the tall periwinkle flowers, as her eyes gazed upon the scenery around her.

Looking back she'd noticed Edward still stood in the dark shadows of the pine trees. "I've never seen anything so beautiful." She breathed keeping her view back on the meadow.

Edward smiled to himself as he watched her beauty radiate in the sun's light.

"Are you joining me?" Elizabeth asked turning around to face him.

He gave a small shrug. "Once the sun has descended behind the clouds."

Elizabeth furrowed her brows. "From what I recall the sunlight doesn't hurt you does it?"

Edward slightly smiled. "No, not exactly."

Elizabeth stepped towards him now. "So what's the hold up?" She reached her arm out to him.

He hesitated for a moment before stepping out into the sun's rays and reaching for her extended hand, lacing his fingers with hers.

Her eyes stared in awe at the glistening specs that danced across his pale white skin. Elizabeth was mesmerized seeing it in person. It were as if a thousand tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface. She traced her fingers across his cheek in awe.

Green eyes then met with his golden orbs, while his glanced up at the slowly disappearing sunlight along with his glistening skin as it was being covered once again by the grey clouds.

He met his eyes with hers once again before she spoke. "So beautiful." She whispered.

Edward gave her a slight smile taking both of her hands in his. "Yes, you are."

A pink blush crept its way onto Elizabeth's cheeks, pulling her hands away and hiding her face she spoke again.

"Weren't you supposed to be explaining something to me up here?" She said smugly before turning away again and leading them towards the center of the meadow.

~~~

~~~