Chapter 8

{Jack's POV}

        Before [Name] could even blink Jack had her pinned to the bed with her hands above her head, hovering just above her to avoid putting his full weight on her wound. It was so sudden she just stared at him dumbfounded for a few moments, her eyes slowly widening as the situation sunk in. Jack chuckled as she started squirming, but he kept his grip on her wrists firm. He released one hand to tilt his mask, revealing a razor-sharp smirk. Earlier he'd shown her his mouth to intimidate her for interrogation purposes, but this time was for pure pleasure.

        "To be honest, I'm not sure why I brought you here," he admitted, chuckling darkly. "It would have made more sense to leave you to die." Her eyes widened at this admission, and her struggling began anew. A silent question was written on her face: "If he doesn't know, then what's stopping him from killing me now?" In actuality, he'd already figured out why he hadn't killed her—she'd saved him—but he wouldn't say that just yet. No, he'd let her fear grow so he could savor it.

        He raised his hand to his mouth, tugging off the glove with his teeth and tossing it on the nightstand. Tracing her jawline with his fingertip, he savored the shudder she gave as his claw brushed against her skin. Jack kept his motions gentle, though, never applying enough pressure to break skin. Hurting her wasn't his intention; he just wanted to enjoy her fear. And wow, were her [e/c] eyes lovely when full of terror. He brushed a strand of [h/c] hair out of her face so he could enjoy her terrified expression more fully.

        "I've been trying to think of why, too, but I can't understand it yet." His finger lightly traced down her chin and neck, coming to a stop above her heart. He could feel her pulse quicken under his fingertip, making him smile. "Perhaps... I want to save you to eat?" Her heartbeat came to a sudden stop. A glance at her face revealed a very nice expression filled with sheer terror. Wonderful, he thought, inhaling the sweet scent of fear. Lovely, truly lovely. "Nothing fatal, I wouldn't want to kill you... But maybe a kidney, a little bite of your liver... You don't need your appendix, do you?" He chuckled as he said this. "Actually, you might be better off without it. It doesn't really have a purpose anymore, just gives you the risk of appendicitis..."

        Abruptly her chest gave a small convulsion, surprising him, and he quickly looked at her face once more. Her eyes were large and shiny, tears threatening to flow. Jack frowned slightly upon seeing it. While he'd wanted to scare her, the look in her eyes at this moment was more than he'd expected. Had he gone too far? He reached up to brush a single tear away and she winced at his touch, visibly fighting off the urge to sob, confirming his suspicions. That wasn't good, he didn't want to scare her TOO much. Frowning, Jack began backtracking carefully.

        "Please relax," he told her, keeping his voice soft and soothing. "I was just kidding. I'm sorry, I went too far. I have no intentions of killing you, though. As I told you yesterday, if I wanted to kill you, I would have done so by now." [Name] still trembled as she stared at him, but she seemed to collect herself enough to swallow and open her mouth, whispering softly.

        "Why... Why haven't you?" she asked, her voice soft and shaky. Jack rubbed his chin thoughtfully, and then tilted his head at her with a small smile.

        "Perhaps it's because... I want to keep you as a pet?" It was phrased as if it were a question, a suggestion, but now that he said it out loud it made perfect sense to him. "Yes... I believe that's exactly why." [Name]'s guardian, "Buddy", had kept Jack as a "pet" for several weeks or even months, and he felt it was only fair to keep his daughter as a "pet" for himself. This answer didn't seem to be pleasing to [Name], but this time she didn't really react with fear so much as shock. Staring at him wide-eyed, her shaking had ceased and he loosened his grip on her wrists, and after a few moments he released them entirely.

        He shifted his body so he was no longer hovering on top of her, instead sitting upright next to her. She didn't move right away, continuing to stare at the ceiling, but soon enough she slowly sat up too, hugging herself tightly and keeping her gaze cast downward. Neither of them spoke, not looking at each other. Finally Jack rose and stretched, grabbing his glove from the nightstand and pulling it back on before fixing his mask. The time for intimidation was now over.

        "...Come on," he told [Name], extending a hand towards her. She recoiled and leaned back, and he frowned slightly. After a moment he gently grabbed her by the arm, careful to move slowly so as to not startle her too much, and pulled her to her feet. His grasp slid down her arm and into her hand as he guided her towards the door.

{Reader's POV}

        My mind was racing as I sat on the bed, my nails digging into my arms as I tried to keep myself calm. So much fear had been surging through me the entire time, my life had flashed before my eyes at least four separate times. It was too much, too terrifying. I had no idea what Jack's intentions were, even after he'd told me. A pet? What did he mean by that? I wasn't sure I wanted to know, but at the same time I didn't really have a choice.

        I was so lost in thought I didn't notice Jack get up. "...Come on," he said, holding his hand towards me. Reflexively I recoiled and tried to lean away, my body going tense. He didn't react for a second but then slowly moved his hand to grip my arm, pulling me to my feet. This time he was gentle, not nearly as rough as the last few times he'd dragged me by the arm, but for rather obvious reasons that wasn't much of a comfort. He'd just shown that he could be cruel and kind at the same time; I had every right to be wary.

        Still, I was caught off-guard when he released my arm and grabbed my hand instead, guiding me to the door. I didn't try to fight it, not really wanting to get on his bad side anymore, and just let him lead me into the hallway. Swallowing, I asked, "Wh-where are we going?"

        "No where," he replied plainly, leading me to the bathroom. He stopped as he opened the door and gave me a small push, making me stumble into the small room. Catching myself, I turned to look at him and yelped as I saw him start to close the door behind me, a million concerns running through my head at once. Was he going to lock me in here?!

        "Wh-what are you doing?!" I gasped, racing towards the door in a panic only to freeze as it stopped in place with a clanking sound, leaving a gap of a few inches. Jack's head was tilted towards the ground, and my eyes followed it to see several metal chain links snaking through the gap. It took a few moments for it to register exactly what I was looking at: the chain. I'd forgotten about the shackle he'd snapped around my ankle earlier, and sure enough a glance at my feet revealed the chain to be connected to the metal cuff.

        As I stared at it dumbly Jack opened the door and walked inside, bending down to lift the chain a bit as he studied the length. "...Should be long enough," he murmured, letting it fall with a clank, and then grabbed my hand again and guided me back into the hallway. This time he turned and led me towards the main portion of the cabin, but a few feet from the end the chain caught. I nearly stumbled as my foot was jerked, but Jack quickly caught me by the shoulders. He carefully straightened me in place before circling me and lifting the chain once more, making the attached ankle rise with it. "...So that's the limit..."

        I stared at him silently, unsure if I should speak, or even what I would say if I did. Obviously he was checking the chain's length. It seemed I'd be able to go to the bathroom, though I wouldn't be able to close it all the way. However, the fact he was checking the chain at all concerned me a bit. If he was making sure I could still do that, then that meant he probably planned for me to wear it for a long time. I bit my lip as I thought about it. Hope was fading with every passing moment.

        Jack claimed he didn't plan to kill me, but could I really trust an inhuman killer?