Chapter 47

{Jack's POV}

        "Are you sure I shouldn't come too?"

        "Yes, I am."

        "But what if you fall asleep again? Or start hallucinating?"

        "I won't, I promise. I got a couple hours of sleep last night."

        "Only a couple?"

        "That's better than nothing."

        "Still..." If Jack had eyes, he would have rolled them as [Name] hovered near him, fussing over him endlessly. Another near-sleepless night had passed, and he was now getting ready to head out. He was already dressed in a freshly cleaned hoodie and dark gray jeans, and was currently in the bathroom checking his reflection, tucking stray tufts of chestnut-colored hair into his hood. It had been a while since he'd last seen Masky and Hoody, so he was a bit anxious.

        Of course, [Name] kept trying to insist that she should come too. Entering Slenderman's territory was always risky for a human. Masky and Hoody probably wouldn't try to kill her, but if ordered by their master they'd have no choice. Even if it was clear that she was with him, she could still get killed or hurt anyway. At this point, he was too attached to her to risk that.

        It was nice to know she worried, though.

        Nodding in approval at his reflection, Jack turned to face her. "Look, I'll be fine. It's not that far away. All goes well, I'll be back before evening." Doubt was still reflected in her [e/c] eyes as he spoke, clearly not comforted by his reassurances.

        "If you're so sure everything will be fine, then why are you taking your scalpel?" This one made him pause. Actually, he expected that they'd ask him for a favor in return for the pills, most likely involving murder, so he figured he'd take the appropriate tools with him. However, he wasn't so sure he wanted her to know that part. Telling her he intended to possibly kill someone seemed like something that would make her worry even more.

        "...Self defense. You know, just in case." A simple lie, but it didn't ease her worries like he'd hoped. He realized this when she stared at him in horror, her [e/c] eyes wide.

        "Self defense?" she repeated. "Wait, do you think your 'friends' might HURT you!? Jack, that's it, I'm coming along too!" He sighed, shaking his head as her fussing grew. Was there anything that wouldn't make her worry?

        "[Name], just calm down," he said, cutting her off. "No, I don't think they'll hurt me. I'm the closest thing they have to a doctor. If they get on my bad side, I can refuse to treat them." Technically speaking, Slenderman could heal them if they got hurt too badly (probably, he didn't really know the extent of Slenderman's powers), but he never did for some reason. "I'm just taking it in case I run into trouble along the way. Or if I see some easy prey."

        The last sentence made her face go a bit pale, and a victorious smirk crossed his face under his mask as she quickly looked away with a small "oh". Talking about his diet ALWAYS made her shut up, it was an easy way to end unwanted conversations. Apparently, the thought of him tearing into a person and extracting their organs just bothered her. Satisfied that she wouldn't pester him so much anymore, he headed for the front door, the [h/c]-haired girl trailing behind him. "Anyways, I'll be fine. I promise."