Epilogue

Lilac-scented shampoo permeated the air as Jack stepped out of the shower, the aroma making him feel a bit euphoric. Drops of water flew from the tips of his shaggy brown hair as he quickly shook his head, brushing his bangs out of his hollow eyes. Grabbing a fluffy towel, he set to drying himself off, and soon only his hair remained wet. He debated only for a moment before deciding against using the loud blowdryer and instead just put a towel around his shoulders as he left the bathroom.

        [Name] was sitting in the living room with a book when he emerged from his bedroom, now fully clothed and dry save for his hair. As he entered the room she glanced up from her book, only to stare at him in surprise. "...Jack, your mask," she said, her [e/c] eyes widening.

        "Yeah?"

        "You're not wearing it." Just as she'd said, at the moment Jack's trademark blue mask was off, revealing his gray face and hollow eyes. In response he just gave a small shrug, settling into the armchair next to her.

        "It's better not to wear it right after a shower. It feels kinda suffocating then." The irl just continued staring at him, not saying a word. After a moment, he tilted his head at her, frowning slightly. "...It's... not a problem, is it?"

        "No, no, not at all," she said quickly, raising her hands in mock-surrender. "I'm just surprised to see your face, that's all. I was kinda under the impression that you don't really, uh, like it..."

        "It's my face. It's not a very human face, but it's mine. No big deal." He shrugged, flashing her a small smile, and she smiled back. With that she went back to reading her book, while Jack just turned on the TV and began flipping through the channels.

        After nearly a month, their road trip had finally reached an end. They'd found a small, isolated farmhouse near a somewhat large city and had taken up residence there. It was a bit rundown and all the paint was chipping, but it was still pretty nice and much spacier than the cabin. When they'd first arrived the previous week, there had been no water or electricity, but Jack had called in a few favors and it was now perfectly livable.

        Overall, their life was still a bit hectic but things were quickly settling down. The two were content with their new home, and their new life. [Name] had even gone shopping in the city already, using money taken from some of Jack's victims, and had been sure to pick up her favorite candy from the grocery store. As she read her mind kept wandering to it, and she felt her mouth watering at the mere thought of the sweet treat. Closing the book, she rose, causing Jack to glance at her.

        "Where are you going?"

        "To get candy," she replied, grinning. "I've got a serious sweet tooth craving coming on!"

        "Ah, I see." He nodded and she started for the door, but then Jack suddenly spoke up. "Wait, hold on a sec." She glanced back at him in surprise.

        "What's up?"

        "Before you get it... Can I try something?" She frowned, puzzled about what he wanted, but she nodded.

        "Okay...?" With that Jack rose and walked over, stopping just in front of her. She was surprised by how close he came, and shifted a bit nervously. "Uh, Jack...? What are you—"

        Before she could finish the sentence he suddenly leaned forward. Her eyes widened in shock as their lips brushed against each other, but soon they fluttered closed. His kiss was surprisingly sweet, the taste of iron unexpectedly absent. For a few moments they just stood there, floating in a void where only they existed. Soon enough he broke the kiss, and she looked at him once more with wide eyes.

        "Huh," Jack muttered. "So that's what it feels like..." He walked back to his seat while [Name] stared at him in shock, still trying to comprehend what just happened.

        "...Uh, J-Jack...? Wh-what was...? Wh-why did you...?" Jack shot her an amused glance as she sputtered endlessly, unable to phrase her question.

        "Well, I was reading a bunch of romance novels and just wanted to know what kissing felt like. I figured I'd try it before you ate candy." Shrugging, he picked up a textbook from the end table and opened it while [Name] kept staring in shock. Cheeks flushing bright red, she stalked over and grabbed her novel from the couch, lightly whacking him on the head with it. Surprised, Jack yelped and dropped his book, reflexively shielding his head with his arms. "Ow! Hey, what was that for?!"

        "Don't just kiss someone for no reason!" she snapped, hitting him again.

        "Ow! Hey! Stop that!" With that he leapt up and ran away with his arms over his head, [Name] in hot pursuit and whacking his head again and again.

        Once upon a time, there was a boy who turned into a monster. One day he was captured by a cruel and evil man, and kept locked away, but just as he gave up all hope he was freed by the man's adopted daughter. After that they started living together. Things weren't always easy, and they had plenty of differences and troubles, but as time went on the pair grew closer and closer.

        Even now, they have no idea how their story will end, but they know that as long as they have each other...

        They will happily live ever after.