Chapter 31

{Reader's POV}

        "What's that one?"

        "A dyeing poison dart frog."

        "And that one?"

        "Red-eyed tree frog."

        "Ooh! Ooh! What about that one?"

        "[Name], you can read!" Buddy laughed, pointing to the sign. "Just look it up yourself!" Giggling, I skipped to the edge of the path and peered at the sign in front of the glass wall, eying the colorful pictures of frogs with awe. Visiting the zoo was always fun, especially for a seven-year-old. However, the rainforest exhibit had always been my favorite part. Humidity hung heavy in the air of the greenhouse-like building, birdsong echoing around us. All the colorful exotic birds and frogs, the constant symphony of nature... It was exhilarating, the best part.

        Looking at the sign, I squinted as I read the letters. "B...lue...poi...son...dart...fr...og... Blue poison dart frog!" I turned to Buddy, beaming proudly, and he chuckled as he ruffled my hair.

        "That's right," he said as I giggled, swatting at his hands. Bending down, he spun me around and wrapped his arms around my waist and hoisted me up, holding me up to the glass. "Do you see a blue poison dart frog?"

        "There!" I said proudly, pointing at a frog with shiny blue skin and a black speckled pattern on its back hanging on a branch, safely behind the glass wall.

        "Very good! See, you don't need old Buddy to tell you what the frogs are!" He spun me around as I laughed, quickly setting me down. Grinning, I quickly wrapped my tiny arms around his waist, squeezing him tightly.

        "I love you, Buddy," I said, nuzzling him.

        "I love you too, Jacky." Wait... Jacky? I frowned, looking up at him to see him smiling down at me. A shudder ran down my spine as I stared into his chocolatey brown eyes, seeing a strange coldness I'd never seen before. His smile was still sweet, yet at the same time sinister and making my blood run cold.

        Swallowing, I tentatively said, "B...Buddy...?" Still smiling, he swiped his hand over my face, and when it passed my eyes I was suddenly in the basement, my arms hanging above my head. Panic flooded me as I flailed my frail teenage arms, trying to get up and run only for a force to pull on my wrists. Cold... My hands were so cold, and I couldn't open them. Tears streamed down my face as I tried to run, only to freeze as I heard a sob. Slowly turning my head, I saw Jack sitting next to me, head bowed and shoulders heaving. Black ooze dripped from his hollow eye sockets, pooling on the ground in front of him.

        "J-Jack," I whispered, eyes widening. "Jack, calm down! You're okay! Just... don't panic!" I tried to reassure him even though I wasn't so sure myself, and his sobbing didn't ebb, instead growing stronger. The blackness sliding down his cheeks gained a red tint and soon blood was dripping from his face, a single drop landing in the black pool and making its surface ripple and turn crimson.