Chapter 31: Sleeping Arrangements

A week.

A whole week of recovering!

The Dr. was here yesterday and gave me my last check up. He was glad that I was healing; slowly, but still healing. However he was worried that my slow healing meant I was doing something to hinder the healing process. Working out. They thought I had been doing it behind their backs which got us a lovely little meeting with the one and only Eric. As you see the Dr. is intimidated by the big bad leader, but he called this meeting so I just sat back and enjoyed watching him studer over his words under Eric steely glare. That was until Eric heard what the Dr. had to say and then that cold glare redirected its gaze onto me. His glare wouldnt leave me alone for the rest of the meeting, treating me like this was my fault, but could I blame his mood? I was irritated too. They keep me locked up and wont let me do anything shoving meds down my throat.

But as The days pass by and I slowly get better putting me in a better mood. Eric has become the opposite. Since I have been sick he's been sleeping out on the couch; though not much sleeping has taken place as I can hear him tossing and turning all night on the small leather couch and when I see him the bags under his eyes have become visible. That's not even talking about his mood; you thought he was scary before. From what I've heard from Kai all of Dauntless hides from him, scared that if they even breathe wrong that he will strangle the life out of them, but even in Eric's foul mood he still takes the time out of his day to make sure im fed and alive. Sure he's threatened to send me to the infirmary multiple times now, but after he would mutter a demand that I get better which I would find very comical.

Sure we still have our ups and downs in private he isn't as angry as he usually is, but I still can get on his nerves knowing what buttons to press just to get a rise. As his mood got worse throughout the week I stopped pressing his bouttone because I felt bad. Here he was taking care of me and I was just being a bitch; he slept on the couch letting me have his bed and he cooks my breakfast every morning and I don't even say thank you. I really started to worry when he would leave looking ready to murder, but no missing people reports have been made, so that's good I guess.

This morning hasn't been any different from any other morning. I still wake up early and just lay in bed as I listen to Eric rutle around outside the room doing whatever he does in the morning. I listen to the pattern of his footsteps and the clatter of a glass mug on the counter. I hear his heavy footsteps come closer to the door and listen for the pause before the door slowly squeaks open. He walks in grabbing a couple items and then listens for my even breaths to make sure I'm alive before he heads out the door for work leaving me with an hour to spare.

One hour.

That's all I got before Kai comes to babysit me, so I make quick work of getting up and starting my rehabilitation project. Project "make me strong again". I've grown a little weak being on bed rest with broken ribs, so I need to get my strength back and since no one will let me do anything I will do it in private. I started with grabbing the door frame and started doing pull ups. From there I did sit ups, push ups, shadow boxing, and more. I had to make it fit within the hour time frame but it was enough to push my strained muscles back into shape. I was finishing off with a run that I do up and down the hall when I heard the sound of the front door knob jiggle and start to turn. I quickly bolted for the bathroom and threw the show on as fast as I could. That was close. I almost got caught. I hurried and got in the shower, but I worked up so much of a sweat that I just wanted to cool down so I turned the water cold.

By the time I was done my breathing was finally back to normal and I was ready to start my day in this boring apartment; again. I open the door to the bathroom and walk out to see pax sitting on the couch drawing.

"You didn't eat your breakfast?" Was the first thing out of his mouth.

"Oh good morning. Did you have a good night's sleep? Why yes I did. How was your morning?" I say sarcastically.

"Good morning." He muttered. "Were you in the shower all morning?" He continued to question me.

"Man what's with the third degree. No, I got up late and went straight to the showers to wake up." I start to internally panic wondering why he was asking these questions.

"Interesting, were you warm?"

"No?"

"No?!" He repeated with a raised brown. "Ok." he went back to drawing, not ignaliging this conversation any more.

"Whatcha drawing?" I ask as I lean closer to take a look.

"Tattoo designs."

They look amazing just like all his other work. I zone out watching him sketch until I was pulled out by one question.

"So how long have you been working out?" He asked like he was talking about the weather.

"W-what? I- I wasn't. I haven't!" I told him. But he looks at me with eyes that show he doesn't believe me.

"Ari, I know." He states. " I know you have been working out."

"What because that stupid Dr. thought I was?" I started to get defensive.

"No, because it's obvious. You have been happier in the morning like when you train. You took a cold shower. And I could hear you running right outside the door." He yelled "Do you even want to get better? You know you're not supposed to be doing this."

"He said I was fine yesterday and i'm tired of all you babying me and suffocating me. I haven't left this apartment for a week and I just want to go to the Gym, so yes I will work out." I stood with my hands on my hips trying to look intimidating.

"I'm telling Eric." He threatened.

"You wouldn't dare." I squint at him.

"Try me!" He challenged "I want your word that you'll stop."

I was speechless. I turn around and stomp to the room slamming the door behind me.

I hear him get up and pace before he rushes to the door but he stops right in front and then lets out a big frustrated sigh before I hear him walk away.

The day passed fast and I just stayed in the room until it came to the time Kai needed to get to work. A light knock sounded on the door before it opened.

"King? I need to leave for work now." He lightly told me from the doorway.

"Ok." I say a little hesitate not knowing where we stand. "Have a good day." I smile at him.

"Ok stay out of trouble." He smiled but still gave me a pointed look.

Man he's definitely going to tell Eric and that's not going to be pretty; especially with how moody he's been it's just going to make him more irritated. He might actually send me back to the infirmary. And then an Idea hit me. I quickly make my way out of the room and over to the closet. I grab a throw blanket and a pillow and set them up on the couch. Maybe if Eric can have a good night's rest before he talks with Kai next then he won't care about what i've been doing.

I sat in my makeshift bed reading until late when finally Eric came back looking more exhausted than ever. He was out all day dealing with factionless and he looked ready to crash. He shuffled his way to the couch and then he saw me sitting there reading.

"What are you doing?"

"Um reading." I said stating the obvious.

"Why here?" He asked, sounding annoyed.

I stay silent for a second wondering what to tell him when I finally mutter.

"So you can get some sleep." I let out as a whisper in my blankets.

I hear him sigh under his breath. I look up to see what he's going to do. I find him looking into space letting the wheels turn in his head. I watch as the muscle in his jaw clenches and unclenches, and then after a long silence he finally lets out a long breath of frustration. He abruptly turns to walk down the hall until I hear the door shut to what I assume is the bedroom.

That night I slept on that nice uncomftorbale couch with just a single pillow and throw blanket to keep me warm