Chapter 39: Patrol 2.0

I woke to an empty room. It was still dark out and I could hear the rain hit the window. It reflected how I felt inside, but that didn't matter. I had to get up. My eyes felt swollen and red and I just took a hot shower and scribed my face so no one would notice. I slowly made my way to the office and surprise surprise Eric had more paperwork for me to do. I spent all day in silence filing paperwork as Eric comes and goes from meeting to meeting. It was finally time to leave. As I made my way through dauntless I could hear all the whispers fly around. I continued walking pretending not to hear when I heard something that caught my attention.

I quickly flipped around to face the group whispering to each other secretly.

"What did you just say?"

I Watched as their mouths clamped shut and their faces went pale. It was dead silent as they avoided all eye contact.

One brave soul finally spoke up. "We're sorry we didn't..."

"No! What were you guys saying?" I asked frantically.

They went silent again as they looked at each other like they were debating if they should say or not. Finally someone spoke up and told me, but I was in disbelief.

"We were talking about a rumor we heard from some other members."

"Ok and? What was that?" I started to get inpatient.

"We heard that you and Eric were a couple. Everyone in Dauntless has been talking about it. Star Crossed lovers who had to hide their feelings throughout training. It's so sweet!" They started fangirling over my rumored relationship.

My blood went cold.

How did they find out?

They continued to ramble on but I didn't pay them any mind. I slowly backed away and slowly made my way to dinner. I kept thinking of every interaction every person that knows, but the only thing that came to mind was Pax. 

Right as I stepped into the cafeteria it went dead sileng=t and all eyes were on me all but one. I watched as Pax sat at our regular spot, but he ignored my every move as he continued to talk with his friend that occupied my spot. I slowly walked through the whispered filled room and found a small corner spot away from people to sit at.

I picked at my food as I didnt feel like eating much. I wasn't in the mood to sit here and listen to people whisper about me right in front of my face. It made my stomach twist. Right as I was about to call it a night and leave I heard a whisper that made my blood boil.

"I heard she was seen going to his apartment all hours."

"I heard they have been dating since initiation and that's why she got a good score."

"Shoosh she might hear you "

"What so she can run to her boy toy eric. He's just using her and everyone knows it " one girl proudly stated

I abruptly stood up startling the girls in their gossip . They instantly looked down at their table avoiding eye contact and went silent as a mouse. I guess they were all talk.

 As I made my way to the door to leave the door slammed open and in walked the almighty Eric looking as angry as ever. He spared me a slight glance, but kept walking. A small group of people were brave enough to whisper about the encounter, but instantly ran out of the room when Eric flipped around and locked eyes with them. Not another word was said that night in the cafeteria.

I made my way home as quickly as I could trying to escape the scrutiny of the faction. I was cautious of anybody that was watching. I was worried that the closer I got to Eric's apartment there would be more rumors circulating around, But that was the least of my worries. As I rounded the corner to the apartment it was crawling with people idling around trying to catch a glimpse of anything. I sat in the stairwell for some time hoping that they would just get bored and leave, but as time went on more people started to come up the stairwell meaning dinner was done. People walked by giving me weird glances as they muttered about it.