Chapter 41: Play Dumb

Time ticked by until I lost track of it. I was so focused on my new little friend that I almost didn't realize it was time for Eric to return. In a hurry I scooped up the ball of fluff into my hands and softly laid him in the makeshift bed I had in the closet . As I took a step back he quickly followed obviously not wanting to be left alone, so I picked him up and put him back in his bed only to have him hop out again.

"Stay" I told him as I plopped him in his bed once more.

crouching down low to softly pet his head. "Please stay quiet." I whispered.

"Meow" was his tiny little response.

This time he finally stayed in his bed. I lightly closed the door and leaned my ear in to hear if he was crying but it was completely silent, so I took that as my sign that he fell asleep. I sat down on the couch reading a book trying to act normal, but as I heard the door creak open my muscles tensed, but I continued to act normal like nothing was out of order.

He entered silently like he normally does but he didnt go straight to his room and ignore me; that made me tense up more. Did he hear something ,is something out of place for him?

"I heard your patrol went well this morning." Eric started the conversation surprisingly

I relaxed, realizing he doesn't know anything.

"Yeah it was very cold. I see why you are always in the truck now."

He chuckled at that comment, he slowly started to set his things down as he continued.

"And the weirdest thing I keep hearing is that you were walking around meowing at people."

The room went dead silent i was speechless trying to think of an excuse to give to him but my mind went blank

"Would you like to explain that?" Hse raised his eyebrow.

"Um yeah about that...."

"Did you finally go crazy?" he asked in a condescending tone

"What! No! I just thought I heard a cat so I was calling for it."

"You thought you heard a cat? In the compound?" he went serious

"Um yeah but I didn't find any so I guess it was just my imagination." He looked at me very suspiciously but had nothing to say.

I watched as he walked to the kitchen to get some water, but then I heard it; a little scratching noise coming from the closet behind me. I watched as Eric continued with his task, but as I thought it was safe the loudest noise came from the closet.

"Meow" my eyes bulged out of my head

I completely turned back to my book stiff as a rock as I saw Eric's back tense up at that very second.

"King?" He drawled out my name

"Hmm?" I hummed out trying to play dumb

"What was that?" He gritted out

I can tell he's already piecing the puzzle together, but I'm going to hold strong.

"What is what?"

"Meow "

"THAT!"

Traitor

Eric slowly approached me staring me down as I avoided eye contact

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh you dont?" he whispered in my face with his menacing glare.