2

Word count: 1,125

Dani examined herself in the mirror, scrunching her dark curls some more. The shoulder length hair still shocked her. This was the longest it had been in years. She'd cut it short in an attempt to give Jack less hair to grab onto when he'd be in one of his moods. It hadn't quite worked out as planned, but it did make it harder for him to grab it as she ran. Dropping the towel her steel blue eyes fell to the jagged scar on her collarbone, her fingertips lightly tracing over it. He'd given her that one when she'd tried telling him no, that she wasn't in the mood. She'd been sick, but Jack didn't care. Her no had angered him and he'd beaten her, taking what he wanted anyway. That was the first time he'd left a lasting mark.

Shaking her head she pulled on her clothes, thankful it was cold outside and easier to hide her scars. She wasn't sure she would ever be ready for the questions that would come should somebody see the scars. Humming she dug out her makeup, getting to work. A little eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara. Foundation to help cover up the smallest scar on her cheek. Lipstick. Nervous she leaned against the sink, staring herself down in the mirror.

Her first day of work. She could do this. How hard could it be? It was a video store. All she had to do was help people rent movies. That was it. Clock in, help people rent their movies, clock out and go home.

"Come on, Dani. Get it together. You moved halfway across the country by yourself. You can do this, too."

Flipping off the light she headed for the door, eyes falling on the simple brown couch now in her living room. When Wayne had realized she didn't have much more than clothes and hygiene products he had set to work, organizing the community to get her some furniture. Smiling she looked around, tears brimming her eyes. Everyone had come together for the new girl in town, bringing her all sorts of things. Furniture, a TV, stuff for the kitchen. A bed and a dresser so she had somewhere to put her clothes and didn't have to sleep on the floor anymore.

Opening her fridge she pulled out the roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, and cherry pie she had cooked earlier. It was the least she could do. Wayne had been wonderful, always checking in on her. Grabbing a paper and pen she quickly scrawled out directions for how to heat everything up before rushing out the door, arms full.

The cool air stung her cheeks as she made her way over to Wayne's trailer, noting that his truck and his nephews van were still there. Careful not to slip she slowly made her way up the stairs, shifting everything so she could knock on the door. Wayne hadn't asked for anything in return, but a home cooked meal before he went to work was the best way she could think of to repay all of his kindness.  The door swung open, revealing a very tired Wayne.

"Oh, shit. Did I wake you, Wayne? I'm so sorry."

"Nope. My alarm had already rang just before you knocked." His eyes drifted down to the dishes she carried in her arms, pie balanced precariously on top. "What's this?"

"Well, you've been so kind, and I didn't know how to repay you," she blurted out, lifting her arms slightly. "So, I made you and your nephew dinner so you could have a solid meal before work tonight."

Wayne chuckled, taking everything from her and setting it off to the side. "You didn't have to do that, but thank you. I know Eddie will appreciate a real meal. Neither of us cook much."

"Speaking of the elusive Eddie, I don't think we've met yet. I've been here two weeks and I don't think I've seen anybody but you here." Wayne spoke of his nephew all of the time, but she never saw him. Occasionally she'd hear music coming from their trailer at night, but that was it.

"Yeah. He doesn't leave much these days. Last year was a difficult year for him, with the earthquake and all."

Dani's heart sank. Wayne had told her about the earthquake and how his nephew had been caught in it, nearly dying. She couldn't help but wonder if maybe that was why he didn't seem to sleep much. That was understandable. She had trouble sleeping most nights, too.

"We'll, I'm up late most nights myself. Tell him if he ever needs company to come on by." Dani smiled, glancing down at her watch. "Shit, I gotta run. Can't be late for my first day!" Laughing she started for her car, stopping to smile back at Wayne and wave.

"Where you working at?" He called after her.

"Family Video! Should come rent a movie some time, Wayne!"

"We'll be sure to do that. Good luck, kid!"

***Family Video***

"So, you're the new girl?"

"In the flesh," she muttered, placing a movie back on the shelf.

"I'm Robin. Over there flirting with blondie is Steve. He's a bit of a horndog, but he's a good friend."

Dani looked up, watching as the guy with the floofy hair leaned against one of the shelves, clearly more interested in getting a date than he was helping the girl pick out a movie. Rolling her eyes she turned back, smiling at who she now knew as Robin. Robin was pretty, short kind of dirty blonde hair, maybe a bit darker. It was hard to tell in this light. A smile that lit up her whole face.

"I'm Dani. It's nice to meet you, Robin."

"So, do you have any friends?" Robin asked, following her to the back of the store.

"One. My neighbor. Sweet old guy. He's kind of been taking care of me since I got here." She turned to the time clock, punching out. "Lunch," she shrugged.

"Cool. So, maybe one of these nights we could hang out?"

Dani hesitated briefly. Robin seemed really nice, but she wasn't sure about really making friends yet. Making friends meant eventually having to tell them about how she ended up here, and she'd rather just try to forget about it. Move on. With Wayne it was easy. He understood there was something she was running from but never asked about it. He didn't make her talk about it.

"If not, it's totally cool. You don't have to. Just thought you might want a friend," Robin blurted out, obviously embarrassed.

"No! That would be great!" Dani smiled enthusiastically. She wasn't sure she was ready for friends yet, but she didn't want to hurt the poor girls feelings. "I'd love that, Robin."