6

***CW: Domestic Violence***

Word Count: 1,217

"We're, uhm, headed out for a bit. Eddie said you needed some space?" Robin leaned against the wall next to her, a mischievous smile spread across her face. "We thinking longer than a grocery run this time? Poor Steve looked like he'd seen a ghost when we got back last time."

"I did not! It was just unexpected. And they were loud!" Dani laughed as Steve blushed, refusing to make eye contact with her.

"No, nothing like that this time. Sorry about that. I told him we needed to be quick. Obviously he, uhm, didn't listen."

Dani pushed off the wall, watching out the window as Eddie grabbed a bag out of his van, fresh snowflakes falling on his leather jacket. She felt like puking, she was so nervous. It was a conversation that needed to happen, but it didn't make her feel any better. Crossing her arms over her stomach she turned, fighting the urge to run.

Eddie walked in, bag in hand. Dropping it on the table he crossed to her, pressing his lips to her forehead. He pulled back, eyes searching hers, almost as if he was checking in. Smiling she nodded her head.

"Not buying it, Montgomery," he whispered, careful not to let Steve and Robin hear.

"Right," Steve interrupted, clearing his throat. "We'll be at the Wheeler's. Uhm, call when you're done with whatever this is," he gestured to the two of them.

Dani watched as Robin followed Steve out, waving before closing the door. Nervously she turned away from Eddie, busying herself with scanning her movie collection. Was she really ready to do this? She knew it would eventually come to this. Why did she let herself get involved with him? Sighing she grabbed Footloose, popping it in the player, finding a spot on the floor.

Eddie sat wordlessly behind her, placing a glass of red wine in her hand before pulling her back against him. Not exactly something she expected him to have just sitting in his van. Beer, liquor, weed, sure. But red wine was a bit of a surprise.

"I had a different plan for it, but you seemed like you needed something to help you relax." His voice was low, right next to her ear.

Taking a drink she turned, setting the glass down. Maybe she could distract him for a bit. It would certainly help her.

"You know, we have as long as we want." Slowly she placed his hand between her legs, dropping her head back to look up at him.

"I'm gonna have to say no for now, sweetheart," he smirked, removing his hand from between her legs.

Pouting Dani sat up, fully turning around to face him. Slowly she leaned forward, bringing her face within an inch of his, satisfied with the way he watched her, his lips parting slightly. She had him right where she wanted him.

"Wouldn't you rather this instead?" she asked, her hands tangling in his hair, tugging slightly.

To her dismay he reached up, carefully removing her hands from his hair. He was really telling her no. Biting her lip she sat back on her heels, her gaze focused on their hands clasped together.

"As much as I love being inside you, that's just going to have to wait for now." Letting go of her hands he reached out, tracing his finger over the scar on her collarbone. "Why don't you start with this one?"

Squeezing her eyes shut she let out a shaky breath, recalling the way the glass had felt digging into her skin. The terror when she saw just how much Jack had enjoyed hurting her.

"Jack. My, uhm, my ex. When we met I was 18. He was 21. He said and did all the right things," she paused, laughing. "God, I was fucking stupid. Anyway, uhm, he came home drunk one night, wanting sex. I hadn't been feeling well, so I said no. He-he didn't like that."

Swallowing the lump in her throat she reached for her wine, drinking it all at once. Avoiding looking at him she reached for the bottle, pausing when he took it from her, pouring another glass for her instead. She took another long sip, delaying the inevitable. Eddie said nothing, just waited for her to continue.

"He, uhm, he used some broken glass. Said he wanted me to remember who I belonged to every time I saw it."

Eddie reached out, pulling her back to him. Dani settled there between his legs, her head leaned back against his chest. She appreciated the silence. In silence there was no pity, no sympathy. No judgement. There was simply existing. Finally he shifted, pointing to the scar hidden just below the waistband of her pants.

"What about this one?" His voice was low, steady.

"Burnt me with a knife for cutting my hair so he couldn't grab it when I'd fight back anymore." Dani laughed, shaking her head at the memory. "God, he was so mad over fucking hair."

"And here?" he asked, his hand covering the scar on her inner thigh.

"Decided I was brave and tried to leave. Jack took his straight razor and left that one. Said if I was leaving then he was going to ruin me for anyone else." She paused, finishing her glass of wine. "I agreed to stay so he wouldn't do more damage."

Dani watched his hand clenched into a fist, but still he said nothing. It was easier than she had thought it would to tell him about her past. There was some relief in it, like this huge weight was being lifted off of her chest. Slowly, his other hand moved to her other thigh, tracing the scar there.

"This one?" she could hear the anger in his voice, though he kept himself calm. The anger shocked her a bit. Not quite the reaction she had expected.

"He came home drunk. Again. He'd been fired and insisted it was somehow my fault. After the first punch landed I just knew he was going to kill me. I fought back. Until he got the knife, anyway. He tried to stab me, but I moved. Instead I ended up with that." She paused, her voice and her hands shaking. "I, uhm, I ran into the bathroom and barricaded myself in there. Neighbors must have heard my screams this time. Next thing I knew the police were there. Passed out, woke up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital."

Shaking her head she got up, walking into the kitchen for no reason other than needing to move. Absentmindedly she started digging through the fridge, pulling out random ingredients.

"He's, uhm, he's behind bars now. Attempted murder. You hungry?"

Her answer was Eddie lifting her and setting her on the counter. His face was mere inches from hers, his brown eyes filled with anger and something else she couldn't quite place her finger on. Eddie looked off to the side, his jaw clenched.

"If he ever comes near you again, he's dead." He looked back at her, gently tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Even if he gets out he doesn't know where I am," she whispered, trying to figure out what that look in his eyes was.