3

Word count: 1,035

Lights were on at the Munson's, faint music coming from the trailer. Dio tonight. Smiling to herself Dani climbed the steps to her trailer, seeing her dishes, freshly washed waiting on her porch. On top lay a slip of paper. Bending down she picked it up, reading the brief message scrawled across it.

"Thanks. Food was good. Washed your dishes for you.

—Eddie."

"You're welcome, Eddie," she whispered, unlocking her door and bringing everything inside.

The day was long, but it was good. Steve turned out to be decent enough, even if he spent most of his time flirting with every girl that walked through the door, herself included. It didn't seem to take him long to figure out she wasn't interested, so she could give him credit for that.

Dropping her purse on the table she kicked off her shoes, making her way to the kitchen. She was starving. Who knew working at a video store could work up such an appetite? She opened her fridge, scanning over what little she had until she found something easy enough. Pizza. Grabbing the box she tossed it on the counter, reaching for a beer to wash it down with.

Satisfied she sat down, eating her pizza cold. It was the best way to eat it, after all. Cracking a window she leaned back, listening to the music from next door. At least he had good taste in music.

***Eddie's POV***

Another nightmare. The demobats were tearing into him as Dustin screamed his name. His hand reached up to rub at one of the scars the nasty fuckers had left behind. The raised skin there a constant reminder of how close he'd come to death that day. For a town that fucking hated him. But it wasn't for the town, was it? He didn't care about them. It was for Dustin. For his uncle. For Steve, and Robin and Nancy. Max, Lucas, and Erica. The ones that stood by him even when the town was convinced he'd killed Chrissy.

He still didn't know how he'd survived, how they'd managed to clear his name. What he did know was how grateful he was for them all. Swallowing he stumbled from his bedroom to the kitchen, grabbing a beer before turning the music up, trying to drown out his own thoughts. Popping the top off his beer he slid down the wall, sitting on the floor, taking a long drink before hanging his head in his hands.

His uncle tried to help him. Be there for him, but he couldn't tell him the truth. He couldn't tell him about the Upside Down, what had really happened to Chrissy. Couldn't tell him about the demobats. Or Vecna. It was safer for Wayne if he didn't know.

***Dani's POV***

Her eyes snapped open and she looked at her clock. 4 am. The music next door was much louder than normal. Too loud.

"Damn it, Munson," she grumbled, making her way toward the living room.

Glancing over she saw every light on next door. She didn't mind the music but this was a bit much. She was sure other neighbors were hearing it, too. Sighing she slipped on her shoes, grabbing her jacket on her way out the door.

The music got louder as she climbed the steps, her fist knocking once, twice, three times. No response. Shivering she knocked again, louder. Still no response. Glancing around she tried the handle, the door swinging open. The music was now almost too loud to bear. Swallowing she stepped into Wayne's trailer, closing the door securely behind her. She didn't like walking in uninvited, but the music needed turned down.

That's when she saw him, empty beer bottles next to him, his head hung in his hands. His long, dark hair covered his face. He looked broken. A feeling she understood far too well. Against her better judgement she crept towards him, hand outstretched.

"Eddie?" she called. No response.

Palms sweaty she knelt down, gently touching his shoulder. One of his hands reached out and she jumped back just in time before it closed around her throat. Shit. She knew this was a bad idea. His brown eyes were wide, wild and unfocused as he started towards her.

"Eddie! Stop! I'm your neighbor! You didn't answer the door!"

Eddie stopped inches from her, his chest rising and falling rapidly as he looked her up and down, smirking. She stood there, frozen in place, unable to look away as he towered over her.

"Haven't seen you before. Who are you?"

"D-Dani Montgomery. I live right next door. Moved in a couple weeks ago?" Her voice shook, unable to hide her fear.

Dani watched as he softened, relaxing a bit as his eyes searched her face. Her heart pounded against her ribs, her eyes beginning to burn as she fought tears back. She wasn't the frightened girl she once was. She was Dani fucking Montgomery. She had survived her ex, moved herself halfway across the country. She was tougher than this.

"T-the music. I usually don't mind, but it's 4am, Eddie."

"You brought us the food last night?" he asked, reaching around her to turn the volume down. "Sorry, rough night."

Dani watched as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck, his eyes meeting hers once more before he looked away. She stepped closer, placing her hand on his arm, feeling the raised scar just under his shirt sleeve.

"Eddie, it's okay. I-I get it. Wayne told me a little bit about what happened. I just-" she laughed nervously, "I just need sleep. I have work in three hours."

"Yeah. I-I'll keep it down. Sorry."

He still wouldn't look at her. That was fine. She definitely scared him more than he had scared her. Turning she walked toward the door, casting one last glance at him before walking out. That definitely could have gone better.

Dani locked her door, slipping off her jacket and shoes before collapsing on her couch. Eddie Munson. She had to admit he was cute. The long hair, the big brown eyes. But, God, he had looked so broken. So lost.