8

Word Count: 1,004

One second she was diving into the gate far too close to her home for comfort, the next she was landing flat on her back on top of a trailer. Groaning she rolled, Eddie's hands dragging her to her feet. Before she could think he was pressing her machetes into her hands before grabbing her head, forcing her to look at him.

"This is recon only. Don't be a hero, okay?" Dani blinked, shivering against the cold. "Dani, promise me you won't try to be a hero if things go south."

"Okay," she whispered, nodding quickly. Glancing around she took in the vines everywhere. She'd seen this place before. When Vecna had used her to deliver a message. But it was off. Her trailer was across from where they were at. "He brought me here already."

"Just, if things go south, run. Please, Dani. Run." There was an urgency to him. It almost felt like he didn't expect to make it back.

***Eddie's POV***

He watched as she marched ahead of him, machetes in hand, always keeping an eye out for danger. The group was a little ahead of them, though not far enough that they wouldn't know if something happened. Dani looked like she was ready for a fight, machetes clutched in each hand. Even the way she walked, the way her head swiveled around every so often, always watching, ready for anything. He couldn't help but feel proud of her. Her first time in the Upside Down and she was ready for war.

The telltale screech of a demobat interrupted his thoughts. It was close. Too close. Turning he saw a dark cloud slowly making it's way toward them. But it wasn't a cloud. It was the demobats. Just as he was about to yell at everyone to run, a demobat slammed into him, it's tail wrapping around his throat.

***Dani's POV***

A soft thud behind her. Stopping she turned, watching as a swarm of bat things with long tails started descending on Eddie, one of them already wrapped around his throat. Things were going south. Panicking Dani turned back around, realizing everyone was now too far ahead to get their attention.

"Not today, Satan," she whispered, charging toward Eddie.

***Eddie's POV***

The tail wrapped around his throat pulled tighter as he fought to get the damn thing off of him. The swarm was too close. He had to warn Dani. She had to get out of there. A familiar boot slammed down on top of the demobat wrapped around his throat, one of her machetes piercing through it's head. Eddie reached up, unwrapping the now lifeless tail around his throat before jumping to his feet.

"You were supposed to run, damn it!" He yelled, stabbing a demobat out of the sky with his spear.

"I just saved your ass!" She yelled back, machetes slicing through more of the demobats. "You can yell at me and be mad when we get out of this godforsaken place."

He could hear shouting up ahead. Everyone had realized what was going on. Grunting he speared another bat headed straight for Dani, stomping on it's head. Dani had a point, but he was going to be mad at her now. He'd told her to run if things went south, damn it. Instead the brat had run head first into danger. Though, he couldn't be too mad. It was fascinating watching her slice through the demobats right next to him, the determined look on her face unwavering.

***Dani's POV***

She could hear the group approaching, their shouting drowned out by the screeching of these things attacking them. It dawned on her then that the group may not reach them in time. They were on their own. Her confidence wavered slightly, doubt starting to sneak it's way in. What if she had just doomed them both?

Angry she charged forward, her machetes swinging. If she hadn't come back for him he'd be dead, and they would have gotten her next, then the group. She had to keep reminding herself that they weren't doomed. The group would reach them in time. Her and Eddie just needed to fight hard for just a little longer. Searing pain lanced through her as one of the monsters latched onto her arm, the pain white hot.

***Eddie's POV***

Eddie watched in horror as one of the demobats latched it's filthy mouth onto her arm, her scream drowning out the screech of the bats. Steve's spiked bat swung down next to him, smashing a bat into the ground.

"Go get your girl. We've got this," he gestured toward the bats.

Not wasting a second Eddie sprinted for Dani, the only thing on his mind saving her.

***Dani's POV***

Screaming she grabbed the thing on her arm, ripping it off and tossing it away. Whatever it was, it hurt like a bitch. Eddie's arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her back against him.

"You're okay, Dani," he whispered in her ear, dragging her back away from the creatures. Soon they were surrounded by everyone, Nancy in front of her, gun aimed high.

"We have to get out of here," Nancy shouted.

Dani knew she was right. There were too many of them. There was no way they would win against these things. Heart pounding against her ribs she looked around, searching desperately for an escape route.

The creatures started screeching, all falling to the ground at their feet. She watched in horror as their bodies writhed on the ground, all of them exploding at once. What was happening? This didn't make any sense.

"It's El! She's killing them!" Dustin cheered, jumping up and down.

Eddie dropped his spear, his hands grabbing her injured arm, brow furrowed as he studied the wound. Damn it, now he was going to be even more angry with her for not listening to him. But what was she supposed to do? Just let him die?

"We're getting you out of here. I can clean and bandage it back in Hawkins."