10

***Eddie's POV***

Word Count: 1,038

Eddie sat there on the edge of her bed, watching the steady rise and fall of her chest. She was going to kill him for this if Vecna or any number of the vile things in the Upside Down didn't get him first. But it was for her own good. After the way she'd run towards the demobats the last time he wasn't giving her the chance to get herself killed again. Carefully, as not to wake her he leaned forward, pressing his lips to her forehead.

"I'm sorry, baby." He paused, brushing her hair away from her face. "I love you."

As quietly as he could he made his way out to the living room, making sure to take one last look around. One picture hung on the wall. A small Polaroid she'd taken of them the first time he'd come over just him. It was such a simple photo, just her laying there with her head on his chest, but she had been so thrilled he'd sat still for her to take the picture. God, he couldn't have said no to her, not with the way she'd looked at him, pouting just slightly. With a sigh he walked out the door, nodding to everyone. It was time.

"She's going to be pissed, Eddie." Robin was the first to speak.

"She can be mad. We're not leading her straight to Vecna." He nodded toward Steve. "Let's go kill the bastard. Once and for all."

***Dani's POV***

With a groan she rolled, reaching for Eddie beside her. Instead of a warm body she found nothing but empty space. Frowning she sat up, looking around her bedroom. Eddie wasn't usually up before her. Dani reached for her watch, even more confused when she saw the time. 8am. Where was he?

"Eddie?" she called out, stifling a yawn as she made her way out to the living room. Nobody was there. What the hell was going on?

Slipping her boots on she stepped outside, looking around. His van was gone. Steve's car was still there, though. Finally her eyes landed on Robin, knelt down just across the way, clutching a walkie. She was right by the gate. Heart in her throat she ran over to her, fighting the terror that was desperately trying to grab hold of her.

"Robin, what's going on? Where is everyone?"

"They, uhm, they went after Vecna."

The walkie crackled to life, Dustin's voice coming through to let Robin know they were ready to come back through. Running her hands through her hair she started pacing, unsure of if she was more angry or scared. She knew she should be angry, but there would be time for that later. Right now she just needed to see Eddie and know he was okay. Turning on her heel she surveyed the group, her heart dropping to her stomach when she didn't see Eddie or Steve.

"Where is he? Where is Eddie?" Dani tried and failed to keep the panic out of her voice.

"He's with Steve. They went in at the lake so we wouldn't be so noticeable." Nancy answered her, dropping her gun as she approached her. "They'll be back soon, okay?"

"You don't know that!" She shouted, racing for her car.

Ignoring their shouting she hopped in, cursing as she started it, throwing it in reverse. Metallica blasted through her speakers as she backed out, racing toward the lake. If Eddie thought he was going to get away with throwing his dumbass to the wolves without her noticing he was sorely mistaken.

By the time she reached the lake she felt like she was going to vomit. All she could think of was getting in there to find him dead. Or finding Steve alone. Or Steve carrying Eddie's lifeless body back. Flinging her door open she leapt out of the car, not bothering to close the door. She didn't care if her car got stolen. All she cared about was finding him.

Her lungs felt like they were on fire as she reached the shoreline, her eyes landing on a boat slowly making its way back. A gasp escaped her as she plunged into the ice cold water, but she pushed forward, desperate to see who was in the boat. Slowly they came into view. It was them. Filthy and looking like they had been through hell, but it was them.

"Eddie!" She called his name, a sob of relief bursting out of her. She could be angry later. Right now she was too relieved. Tears blurred her vision as they approached, her breath now coming in short spurts.

"Damn it, Montgomery! Get out of the water! You'll freeze to death!" He called back to her, laughing. "And where's your fucking pants?"

Half laughing, half crying she backed up out of the water, watching impatiently as they slowly brought the boat in. Steve's laughter joined hers as he finally saw her, standing there in just Eddie's shirt and her boots. She must look absolutely insane, but she didn't care.

The second Eddie's feet were back on land she ran at him, forcing him to catch her as she leapt up onto him. Her legs wrapped tightly around his waist, her arms around his neck as his arms wrapped around her, holding her securely in place. He was absolutely filthy but she didn't care. Her laughter quickly turned to sobs as she clung to him.

"Hey, everything's okay," he whispered squeezing her tighter. "When you get mad later, remember something. We got him, baby. Vecna's gone."

"Bet your ass I'll be angry later. You shouldn't have disappeared on me like that." Her voice shook as he slowly set her back on her feet.

"I'll, uhm, I'll take your car so you two can talk," Steve interrupted, patting her shoulder.

"Yeah. Yeah. Keys are in it. It's, uhm, that way," she gestured in the general direction of where she'd come from.

Eddie's hand wrapped around hers, pulling her toward where she assumed his van was parked. Smiling softly she looked up at him. She had been so scared, convinced she'd find him dead. But here he was, still very much alive. Everything was going to be okay.