12

Word Count: 1,285

***Eddie's POV***

Dani was at work with Steve and Robin. He'd managed to tell them before they left the night before, knowing they were all working together today. With them she'd be safe. Just in case. He looked at the group, all waiting for him to speak.

"Last night, when Dani was singing, what happened, Eddie?" Henderson, getting straight to the point.

"Well, she doesn't know where she heard the song." Eddie swallowed, fidgeting with the rings on his fingers. "But, uhm, shit," he laughed nervously, getting up to pace. "When she, uhm, when she looked at me it was like she wasn't there. She was talking to me, but it was almost like she was in a trance, I guess?"

Eddie stopped pacing, crossing his arms over his chest, pressing a fist against his mouth. It had to be nothing, but he needed them to tell him it was nothing. He needed Dani to be okay.

"Does she do that often?" Nancy asked, rising to her feet.

"She's had that look before, but not like this. Dani's never-She's never been responsive before. And-and the song's new." This was happening, wasn't it? "Fuck! This isn't happening. It can't be. Not Dani. Fuck!"

"Eddie, calm down. I'm sure it's not him. Right, guys?" Nancy put her hand on his arm, casting a pointed look at the group.

"I-I'm sorry, Eddie. But I think it is."

It felt like his heart stopped in that moment. This couldn't be happening.

"Then-then I'm taking her and getting her the fuck out of Hawkins." Eddie started gathering some of his stuff. They would be gone by nightfall.

"Eddie, he already broke through, remember? He's already linked to her. She won't be safe anywhere."

"Then what the fuck am I supposed to do, Nancy?" He yelled, feeling like the rug had just been pulled out from under him. "He can't fucking have her. So, do whatever it is you fucking do and fucking save her!"

***Dani's POV***

Something wasn't right. Steve and Robin had watched her like a goddamn hawk all day, and now Eddie was waiting for her by her car. He usually waited for her on his porch or hers. Something was up.

"Why do I feel like I'm being babysat?" she laughed, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"What, can't I surprise you once in a while? Plus, I still owe you a guitar lesson." His smile didn't quite reach his eyes. Something was definitely up.

"Eddie, what's going on?" Dani reached up, placing her hand against his cheek.

"Don't worry about it right now, okay? Right now I want you to worry about what it is you want for dinner."

"Eddie-"

"Dani, I'll tell you when I can. Right now, I just need things to be normal. So, what do you want for dinner?"

Dani stepped back, looking up at him. He wasn't angry. But something was off. He'd been off since the night before. Since she was singing that stupid song.

"Eddie, you've been off since last night. It's about that song, isn't it?"

"Goddamn it, Dani. We're not doing this. Get in the car." He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Please, Dani."

Something was definitely up. Eddie never spoke to her like that. Ever. Sighing she tossed him her keys, getting in the passenger seat. She'd get it out of him. One way or another. But on the street wasn't the place.

Dani watched as he got in, the muscle in his jaw twitching as he started the car and took off. It scared her how agitated he was, but he hadn't laid a hand on her. At least there was that. She still couldn't stop the tears from filling her eyes, blurring her vision as she stared out the window, watching the town fly past.

The drive was a silent one. Not even her usual music playing as he drove, practically drifting her car into the trailer park. Eddie was angry, and it was her fault. She just couldn't keep her stupid mouth shut.

Soon Eddie was throwing open her door, pulling her out and tossing her over his shoulder. Fear took over and she started beating on his back, kicking her legs.

"Eddie, let me go!" she begged, looking up to see he was headed for his place, not hers. "Eddie, please! I'm sorry! I won't do it again!"

Eddie slammed his door closed locking it before setting her down. Dani backed away, tripping over her own stupid feet, falling to the floor.

"Dani, baby, calm down." He knelt down in front of her, shrugging off his jacket. "I don't have time to argue about my place or yours. And I can't-I can't let you out of my sight right now. I can't protect you at your place. But I can here. Please, Dani."

"What are you talking about?" she sniffled, feeling a bit foolish for thinking he was going to hurt her.

"I can't tell you everything right now. The less you know the better." Eddie reached out, waiting for her to come to him. "Just let me have this time with you. Please, Dani."

That's when she saw it. He was never angry. He was scared. What the hell could he be so afraid of? What was it he wasn't telling her? Sighing she crawled forward, gasping at how quickly and tightly he wrapped her up in his arms. Something really had him spooked. And it had to do with that stupid song. She just knew it.

Suddenly he shifted her, getting his arms under her while he rose to his feet. Eddie carried her swiftly down the hallway, laying her on his bed before he closed the door. Dani couldn't help but smile as she looked around, remembering the last time she'd been in here. The way he'd held her close, her head resting on his chest as he read to her from one of his books.

Eddie grabbed his acoustic before joining her, settling while he strummed a few chords. It was fascinating to watch him. Almost like the second he had a guitar in his hands he was calm again. More himself. She loved the way his brow furrowed slightly, the tip of his tongue poking out between his lips as he focused.

"Come here." He motioned her forward as he sat back a little farther, setting the guitar down next to him.

Nervous she moved over, heart racing as she settled between his legs, her back pressed against his chest. Eddie slowly lifted the guitar, placing it in her hands. It was a lot lighter than she thought it would have been. Her fingers traced the strings, feeling the roughness of some.

"Now, what you're going to do is place your fingers here," he voice was soft in her ear as he spoke, guiding her hand how he wanted it. "And you're going to take this pick and give her a strum."

"Sounds simple enough." Dani took the pic, bottom lip pulled between her lips. She could do this. Holding her breath she strummed the guitar, shocked when it actually made a pleasant sound.

"Great. That's A." He shifted her hand where he wanted it again, this time leaving his hand on top of hers. "Again."

Dani strummed again, more sure this time. Another not awful note. She doubted she'd ever fully learn to play, but she didn't mind the lessons. There was something oddly intimate about the way he sat there with her, guiding her. She wouldn't mind this being a regular thing they did together.

"You're a natural, sweetheart."

"Maybe I just have a good teacher."