2

***Eddie's POV***

Word Count: 1,060

Eyes glued to Dani's face he listened, okay half listened, as the group took turns filling her in. Every so often her steel blue eyes would meet his, but he couldn't read them. It was unsettling. Usually he knew exactly what she was thinking when she looked at him. But now? Now she was completely and totally closed off to him.

"So, you're telling me I ran from one monster, straight into the arms of another." Her voice was flat. No emotion. When she laughed, it was hollow. "That sounds about right. Dani Montgomery, perpetually running from monsters."

"Dani, we need to know what happened." Robin, her voice soft.

His leg bounced anxiously, his fingertips pressed against his mouth. Vecna had gotten to her. He hadn't been able to stop him. He should have run her off the second she'd moved to this shitty, cursed town. Instead he'd been selfish. At the very least he should have taken her and run. Not spend time playing fucking house with her. Christ, he'd been stupid. And selfish.

"Well, he said I can live. For now. But, uh, he had a message." Her eyes flicked up to his, the tiniest hint of fear in them before she continued. "He said he's coming, and that-that there's nothing you can do to stop him."

Eddie followed her eyes, focusing in on El. El was eerily calm. Like she had been expecting this. That shouldn't surprise him. El seemed to always be ready to fight. The message had been for El, but she didn't even flinch.

"I will stop him. He is done hurting my friends." There it was. Anger.

"Well, uh, I guess it was nice knowing you guys." Dani's voice was shaking, though she tried to hide it behind a laugh.

Fuck it. He was done giving her some space to process. Dani was scared and he wasn't going to just sit and watch in silence. Reaching out he grabbed hold of her, pulling her into his lap where he could hold her, pressing his lips to her shoulder.

"You lied to me, Eddie." She was right. He'd lied by not telling her everything. "I'm not mad. I'm just, I don't even know how I feel about it right now."

***Dani's POV***

There were things worse than people out there. Things worse than Jack. And she had run directly into this monsters arms. Sighing she closed her eyes, letting the hot water from the shower wash over her. Her, Steve, Robin, and Eddie had all moved over to her place. She had insisted on it. After what had happened there she couldn't be there any longer.

That's what she did best. Run. Jesus Christ. Laughing she sat in the bottom of the tub, pressing the heels of her palms against her eyes. Her friends were all in her living room, all discussing how to keep this Vecna away from her, how she wasn't going to be left alone. They would take shifts if needed. But for the time being, it looked like she had a whole squad babysitting her. A soft knock on the bathroom door, followed by the sound of the door opening.

Shutting off the water she stood, reaching a hand out for her towel. The brush of rough fingertips against hers as it was handed to her. Eddie. Drawing a slow, steady breath she wrapped the towel around her, securing it before stepping out into the small space, smiling when she saw him standing there, waiting with another towel for her hair. Without a word he stepped forward, slowly using the towel to scrunch and squeeze out the excess water, his eyes never leaving hers.

At first she'd been angry that he'd kept something so huge from her, but it had been all of them. And it wasn't like he'd outright lied to her. Eddie had never once told her about the earthquake, which it turned out was something much worse. It had been Wayne, who had been lied to. Eddie just hadn't told her what had really happened. A lie by omission, but it was to try to keep her safe. She understood that. She still hadn't told him how she got her scars. Or what had happened that led her straight to Hawkins. She probably had some explaining to do herself.

"Robin and Steve will stay out in the living room. I will as well, if you want me to." Eddie spoke first, breaking the silence.

God, she should be mad. But that would also make her a hypocrite. She couldn't justify being angry at him for withholding information, when she was doing that exact thing.

"I sleep better next to you."

At her words he relaxed, closing what little distance there was between them to wrap her up in his arms, tucking her head against his chest. The familiar scent of weed, cigarettes, and leather enveloped her. She was home. This was home for her.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, pressing his hand against the back of her head. "I should have just taken you and ran far away from here."

"Every town has it's secrets, Eddie. Nowhere is ever completely safe."

"Those monsters would be easier to fight."

Dani laughed, tipping her head back, resting her chin against his chest. She couldn't help but admire the curve of his jaw, even as she watched him clench it, tense. She hated seeing him so tense. She needed to see that smile of his that lit up his entire face. It felt like ages since she'd last seen it.

Reaching up she traced his jawline, forcing his attention down to her. His brown eyes, usually so full of life looked tired. Scared. She couldn't take seeing him like this. So she did the only thing she knew to do. Slowly she lifted up onto her toes, pressing her lips to his. Eddie softened, scooping her up, setting her on the bathroom counter. Her hands tangled in his hair as he pushed her legs apart, pulling her to the edge so her body was flush against his. A knock sounded at the door, forcing them apart, Eddie's head falling to her shoulder. Of course. She'd finally gotten him to relax a little bit, and they were interrupted. Having other people there wasn't going to be fun