4

Word Count: 1,008

"You're neighbors with Eddie?!"

Robin's voice next to her startled her, making her scream and nearly crash the car right into her house. Christ, the woman was loud. What was it to her anyway?

"Yeah. You know him?" Shutting off the car she climbed out, glancing over at the Munson's place. Eddie had just stepped outside, nodding in her direction as his eyes landed on Robin, a wide smile breaking across his face. She swore her heart skipped a beat.

"Robin! Didn't know you knew Montgomery here," he said, crossing to wrap Robin up in a tight hug.

Dani made herself busy, gathering the supplies for their girls night from the back of the car, their chatter fading into the background. She couldn't believe she had a crush on the guy. What the hell was she thinking? Seven months since Jack. It had only been seven months. She wasn't ready for anything. Not a fling, not a hookup, not a relationship. She was barely ready for friends. Another Jack couldn't happen. She wouldn't allow it to.

"Dani? Hello?"

Dani snapped back to attention, ringed fingers snapping in front of her face. Shit. How long had she been standing there like that?

"Where'd you go just now?" Eddie asked, ducking his head so he could see her better.

"Just lost in thought." Dani smiled, though the smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

"You okay?" Concern. Great. Now somebody was worried about her.

Drawing in a steady breath Dani nodded her head, shifting slightly. She watched as those big brown eyes of his dropped, her eyes followed, her heart dropping into her stomach when she realized what he was looking at. Her shirt had slipped, revealing the scar on her collarbone. She knew she shouldn't have worn this shirt today. Damn it.

"I'm fine," she snapped, stepping back.

Eddie's hands went up in defense as he slowly backed away, watching her. Keeping her head down she marched up to her door, looking back at Robin.

"You coming or no?"

"Coming!" she called, glancing nervously between her and Eddie before bouncing up the steps after her.

"Hey, Montgomery!" Dani looked over her shoulder back at Eddie, her stomach flipping at the wide smile on his face. "See you later." The fucker winked at her. Actually winked.

***Three Hours Later***

Robin and her had spent the majority of the evening laughing and dancing, ignoring the movies they'd rented. Tequila tended to do that to her, though, and they'd had plenty of it. She'd almost forgotten about whatever it was that happened with Eddie earlier. Almost.

"So, why'd you snap at Eddie like that?" Damn it, Robin.

Ignoring the question Dani made her way into the kitchen, pouring herself another shot. She ignored Robin as she followed, pouring herself another shot as well. She shouldn't have snapped at him like that. Didn't seem to bother him much, though.

"Sorry I was mean to your friend or whatever," she grumbled.

"Dani, you were really out of it. He was checking because we were both worried. You didn't respond for like five minutes."

Robin's voice was soft. Concerned. Goddamn it. More concern. She didn't want them caring about her. Caring led to questions about her. Who she was before Hawkins.

"I'm sorry, Robin. I was just lost in thought. I didn't mean to worry you."

Knocking. Dani tipped her head to the side, confused. Who would be knocking at 9pm? Were they being too loud? Shit. They were being too loud. Sighing she went to open the door, an apology at the ready, her heart leaping up into her throat as she was met with long dark hair and soft brown eyes. Eddie.

"Eddie! Uhm, hi. Are we being too loud?" Keep your cool, Dani. Stay calm.

"Not loud enough, actually," he flashed her that damn smile of his before holding up a bag. "I bring gifts."

Shaking her head Dani moved aside, motioning him in. She really needed to get some damn control of herself.

Eddie slid past her, wrapping an arm around Robin before depositing the bag on the table. He turned toward her, reaching his other arm out to her, waving her over. Cautiously she stepped toward him, yelping when he grabbed her and drug her into a group hug. What the fuck was happening?

"Montgomery, you're wound tighter than an eight day clock. Relax, enjoy yourself," he beamed down at her before releasing her.

Heart racing she stepped into the kitchen, pouring herself another shot of tequila. She was going to need a lot more of that if she was going to survive the night.

***Eddie's POV***

The three of them sat on the floor, the girls drinking while he smoked. Every so often Dani's steel blue eyes met his while Robin talked. Something about some girl she had a crush on. But he didn't care about that.

What he cared about was what had happened earlier. Him and Robin had thought Vecna was back for a minute. She'd gone somewhere in her own head, thankfully. He wasn't sure he could handle another round of Vecna. He certainly couldn't handle another innocent person dead.

Then there was the scar. Rough and jagged on her collarbone. Somebody had hurt her. Her reaction to him seeing it told him as much. He'd wondered why she had moved to Hawkins of all god forsaken places. Now it made sense. But who had hurt her? And why. He couldn't imagine anyone wanting to hurt Dani. If she wasn't dropping food on their doorstep she was leaving notes for him to find on his windshield. Reminding him that she was right next door if he ever needed company.

"You know if you stare at her any longer she's going to think you're a serial killer," Robin whispered in his ear, laughing.

"Not staring. Thinking," he whispered back.

"What about?"

Eddie watched as Dani carried the empty bottle into the kitchen, her footing a little unsteady. She was wasted. Smirking he turned back to Robin.

"Just trying to figure her out."