13

Word Count: 1,013

Dani's eyes opened, her mouth and throat dryer than the desert. Groaning she lifted her wrist, checking the time. 2am. A quick glance behind her showed Eddie still sleeping peacefully next to her. He looked peaceful, even more so compared to how spooked he had been earlier. Sitting up she reached for the glass of water Eddie had brought her before she'd fallen asleep, only to find it missing. He must have taken it back to the kitchen after she'd fallen asleep. Carefully, as not to wake him she got up, casting one last glance at his still sleeping form, a small smile on her lips, before making her way toward the kitchen.

Tiptoeing down the hall she drug her fingertips along the wall, humming softly to herself, his words from the other day playing on a loop in her mind. "I swear, I'm going to marry you one day." God, she was in love with him. As hard as she'd tried to stay on her own, the jerk had managed to get her to fall for him.

Something crawled across her hand, startling her out of her thoughts. Stifling a shriek she shook her hand, watching as it fell to the floor. A spider. Gross. She'd have to let Eddie know in the morning. With a shudder she continued on, jumping when the hall light went out right above her.

"Get a grip, girl," she muttered, laughing at herself.

Reaching out she flipped the switch for the kitchen, but it didn't come on. Power outage. That would explain the hall light. Rolling her eyes she felt her way into the kitchen, slowly making her way to the sink. Grabbing a glass from the dish drying rack, she turned on the water. There was a horrible creaking and groaning, like nobody had used the sink in too long, before some kind of black sludge started pouring from the faucet.

"What the fuck?" she whispered, immediately shutting it back off. Another thing to let Eddie know about in the morning.

Groaning she turned around, making her way toward the door, glancing down the hall real quick. The faintest bit of moonlight filtered in through Eddie's bedroom window, illuminating her pants still on his bedroom floor. She thought about letting him know she was heading to her place real quick, but decided against waking him up for something so small. She'd be back in like two minutes, anyway.

Moving as quietly as she could she slipped out the door, closing it quietly behind her. Turning she stopped in her tracks. Something was different. The trailer park looked off. Like some warped version of it, but she couldn't quite place her finger on what it was. The shadows were all wrong, for sure. Places that normally wouldn't have a shadow on them did. But there was something else. Figuring it must just be her still tired brain she started down the steps, making her way to her trailer. Get her water, go back to bed with Eddie. Easy.

Unable to shake the feeling that she was being watched she looked around, her eyes landing on the single streetlight that was still on. In the light stood a tall figure, one hand much larger than the other. There wasn't much else she could make out from so far away. All she knew was the sight made her blood run cold. That's when she heard it.

"Dani." The voice was low, almost demonic sounding. She knew it came from the figure under the light, but it sounded like it was right in her ear.

Heart pounding in her ears she watched it, willing herself to wake up. This was just a bad dream. It had to be. Then it moved. Started walking toward her. Abandoning her mission for water she bolted back to the trailer, yelling at herself to wake up internally. Flinging the door to Eddie's trailer open she launched herself through the door, slamming it closed and locking it behind her.

"You can't run from me, Dani."

That fucking voice again. Covering her mouth with her hand she stood there in the middle of the living room, begging herself to wake up. Why wasn't she fucking waking up? Wide eyed she watched as a shadow passed by the windows, headed for the door. Feet feeling like lead she started down the hallway, desperate to get to Eddie. Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong. Before she reached the bedroom the door slammed closed.

"Eddie!" she screamed, trying desperately to open the door. It wouldn't budge. "Eddie, this isn't fucking funny! Open the door!" Dani was now throwing herself against the door, trying desperately to break it down. "Please, Eddie." She sobbed, listening as the front door broke open. "Eddie, please! Help!"

When there was still no response she dove into the bathroom, slamming the door closed and climbing into the bathtub, making herself as small as she could. Her hand covered her mouth, muffling her terrified sobs as she listened to the heavy, wet sounding footsteps coming down the hallway, stopping right outside the bathroom. Any minute now she would wake up, she was sure of it. This was all just some god awful nightmare.

The figure was in the bathroom. She didn't know how she knew, but she knew. There was nowhere left for her to run. Nowhere for her to hide.

"Nobody is coming to save you, Dani."

"Eddie! Help!" She screamed, watching as the figure lifted his large hand, reaching for her face. His skin looked burnt, like he'd been in a fire.

"It's no use, Dani. He can't hear you."

"What do you want? Why me?" Her hand reached out, grasping for anything she could use to defend herself with. This was starting to feel less and less like a dream.

"I wouldn't do that, Dani."

"Fuck you."

"You'll live. For now. I want you to deliver a message."

Dani watched, frozen, as his hand descended over her face, the realization that she was trapped finally sinking in.

End of Part 1