9

***Eddie's POV***

Word count: 1,012

Eddie sat there on her steps, checking his watch periodically. Wayne was right. If he wanted her to open up, he had to do it first. Maybe if he just told her the parts she needed to know he could still keep her safe. He owed her that much after avoiding her for three days like a fucking asshole. 9:30pm.

"Any minute now, Montgomery," he muttered. Any longer and he'd probably chicken out. Dropping his head in his hands he sighed, hoping she wasn't too mad at him. That she'd listen. That she'd forgive him.

***Dani's POV***

Her headlights revealed a figure sitting on her steps, head in their hands. She'd know that long dark hair anywhere. Eddie. Relief flooded her body, quickly replaced by anger. Where the fuck had he been? Nobody had seen him in three days. Dani hopped out of her car, marching up to him, ready to hit him.

"Where the fuck have you been, Eddie?" she yelled, her voice shaking. "Everyone's been looking for you. Worried about you! I-I was fucking worried about you. And now what? You're just back like you didn't fucking go AWOL for three fucking days?"

Eddie sat there, staring up at her, fingertips pressed against his lips. Just as quickly as her anger washed over her it was gone, replaced only by sadness. What had happened? Was it something she did? Something she said? Why did he just disappear?

"Dani, can we go inside? Please? We-I need to talk to you." The regret in his voice only added to her sadness, her tears spilling over. "Dani, baby, please don't cry. I'm sorry. I'm so fucking sorry."

"Let's just go inside," she spit out, pushing passed him. If this was it, so be it.

Dropping her purse on the table she threw open the fridge door, grabbing a beer, opening it on her counter. If this was happening, she needed something to help her get through it. Taking a long drink she sat on the couch, watching as he sat beside her.

"Eddie, if you're bored with me or whatever just say so and get it over with, please," she begged, wiping away another tear.

In an instant he was kneeling in front of her, pushing her legs apart so he could get closer to her. His hands reached up, cradling her face as he wiped away her tears, leaning in to kiss her cheek.

"Dani, baby, please don't cry. I can't fucking handle seeing you cry. I'm sorry I disappeared." His lips brushed her other cheek before resting his forehead against hers. "I'm not bored with you, Dani. That's not what this is about."

This time his lips brushed against hers in the gentlest of kisses before he tucked her head in against his chest, holding her there. They stayed like that a while, him just holding her while she sobbed. She'd been so worried, and when he showed up on her doorstep she'd thought the worst. But if that wasn't what was happening, why had he disappeared?

Dani sat there a bit longer, letting the warmth of his body soothe her, his scent permeating her senses. Slowly her breathing returned to normal, her heart slowing down it's erratic pounding.

"Then what's up, Eddie?" she asked, nervous to hear his answer.

"Uncle Wayne and I talked the other day, and he made some good points. We talked about what happened, how I almost died, and he made a valid point of how I expect you to trust me, without really letting myself trust you."

Confused Dani frowned. How were the two related? How did he not trust her? They spent practically every moment she wasn't working together. He wasn't making much sense.

Slowly Eddie rose to his feet in front of her, lifting his shirt up and over his head as quickly as he could. His torso was marked with large scars, his arms with smaller ones. One even looked like a bite mark. Eyes wide she rose to her feet, reaching out to touch his scars, glancing up, waiting for his approval. At his nod she touched the large one on his chest, tracing her fingers over it similar to how he liked to trace the one on her collarbone.

"Is this from-?"

"Yeah," his voice was quiet, barely above a whisper.

"Oh, God, Eddie. How did you even survive?" She glanced up, searching his face for answers.

"I wish I knew, Montgomery. Only Harrington and Henderson know the answer to that one. One second I was dying, the next I was waking up in the hospital, three weeks later."

Dani's eyes filled with fresh tears. Not for her, but for him. The thought of him going through that, if Wayne thinking he may never wake up. It was almost too much to handle. Looking back down she found his arm, the one with the bite mark on it and held it up.

"What happened here?"

"Just a bite." His smile was sad as he reached out, pulling her into his body. "I'm sorry, Dani. I shouldn't have left like that. I just needed time to think, and I can't fucking do that when you're around. Even when you're not around I can barely think of anything but the next time I get to see you, hold you." He laughed, burying his face in her hair. "It's like I'm a stupid teenager again."

Dani sighed, listening to his heart beating steadily in his chest. She didn't care that he'd disappeared for three days anymore. Didn't care that she'd spent those three days worried about him. All she cared about was the fact that he was back, and he was okay. Taking his hands in hers she took a step back, meeting those beautiful brown eyes she'd missed so much with her own steel blue ones.

"Stay with me tonight?" she asked, tugging on her bottom lip with her teeth.

"You know I can't say no to you," he chuckled. "Come on, Montgomery. Let's get some rest."