4

***Eddie's POV***

Word Count: 1,028

"I'm just saying, it might be time we start looking at taking El into the Upside Down."

Eddie nodded, thinking it over. Harrington had a point. Up until now she'd only fought from this side of things. Maybe taking her in with them would be a good thing. Help level the playing field.

"No! Absolutely not! That's exactly what he wants!" Mike was obviously distressed. He wouldn't have been fond of somebody suggesting Dani go there, himself.

"Mike, it could help. I'm stronger now." El tried to convince Mike.

"El, I said no! It's not happening!"

"Keep it down, Wheeler One. Dani's sleeping." If they woke her and she figured out what they were planning heads were going to roll. He had to keep her as far away from this as possible.

"What? Scared she's going to find out we've been planning to go into the Upside Down this whole time?"

"I want her as far away from this as possible. I'll tell her when we're actually going." If Mike didn't shut the fuck up he was going to snap.

"Tell me what?" Dani's voice, still rough from sleep was right behind him.

Goddamn it, Mike. Four days. Four days he'd managed to keep her away from this. And just like that, Mike and his fucking loud mouth ruined it. Slowly he turned, smiling down at her, knowing how guilty he looked. She could read him like a book.

"Eddie didn't want you to know we're going into the Upside Down."

"Goddamn it, Mike! Do you ever just shut the fuck up?" He turned back to him, ready to kill him. Groaning he turned back to Dani, ready for whatever it was she was going to do to him.

"Bedroom. Now." He watched helplessly as she turned on her heel, marching back to her bedroom. "I said now."

"You're a fucking deadman, Mike."

***Dani's POV***

Eddie was planning on going into the Upside Down. Without telling her. What the fuck was he thinking? How long has he been planning this? Her hand wrapped around a perfume bottle and without any hesitation she chucked it at the wall, watching it shatter. The door closed behind her.

"What the fuck, Eddie? Are you even fucking using your head?" She whipped around, fixing him with a glare. "You didn't think that maybe I should have a fucking say in this?"

Eddie didn't answer her. He just stood there, leaned back against her door, arms crossed over his chest as he watched her. All it did was fuel her anger. Balling her hands into fists she stood her ground, waiting for him to come up with an answer. The answer never came.

"Fucking answer me! What the actual fuck, Eddie?" She was practically screaming now. He didn't flinch. Didn't even hardly blink as he watched her.

"Dani, I have to. I can't just sit here, waiting for him to come for you again." His voice was quiet, just barely above a whisper.

Tears blurred her vision as her nails dug into her palms, probably drawing blood. She didn't particularly care. How could he do this to her? Just leave her out of a decision as huge as this?

"You-you almost died last time, Eddie." Her voice broke. What if he didn't make it this time? What then? Swallowing hard she squared her shoulders, meeting his stare head on once more. "You're not going."

"Dani..."

"Don't. Either you stay here, with me, or I'm going with you. Those are your options."

Arms crossed over her chest she watched as he pressed his palms into his eyes, frustrated. Good. He could stay frustrated for all she cared right then. If he was going to try to do this without her he was wrong. He now had a choice to make. When he pulled his hands away there was nothing but anger there. It made her wary, her mind flashing back to Jack, but she didn't let him see it. Not even as he stepped toward her, his hand raising, a single finger pointed right at her.

"No. You're not going to the Upside Down. And I'm not staying here, waiting for Vecna to fucking come for you again."

Dani didn't say a word. She stepped around him, throwing open the door before he could grab onto her. She was done letting men tell her what she could and couldn't do. If he insisted on going, then so was she. That was all there was to it. She met the groups nervous states with a smile, ignoring Eddie as he approached.

"So, when do we leave?" she asked, watching as everyone's eyes went to Eddie. "He doesn't speak for me. If he's hell bent on getting himself killed, then someone's gotta be there to save his ass. Might as well be me."

"Dani, this isn't fucking happening. You're not going in there."

Whipping around she marched up to him until they were standing toe to toe, matching his glare with a smile. She'd already won and he knew it as well as she did.

"I'm not asking, Eddie."

Dani watched as he walked out the door, arms crossed over her chest. He'd never been angry with her like this before, frustrated definitely. But angry? Never. Her vision blurred as she stared at the door, the sound of his own slamming startling her. Yeah. He wasn't just angry. He was furious. At least their first real fight wasn't over something stupid. Turning back around she wiped her eyes, forcing a smile.

"Well, what's the goddamn plan?" Her voice was shaky, her heart pounding against her ribs. The longer he was gone the more she began to doubt herself. El stood, pulling her into a hug, squeezing her tight.

"He's just worried about you. He'll be back," she whispered before releasing her.

Dani still couldn't stop the nagging feeling that she'd really fucked it up this time. That maybe he wasn't coming back. That maybe, just maybe, he'd finally decided she wasn't worth the trouble. She vaguely registered everyone around her starting to talk, filling her in. First trip would be a recon mission.