8

Word count: 1,049

Dani found herself unable to sleep, needing to know when Eddie made it home. She just needed to know he'd made it home safe. It was close to midnight. Where was he? What could possibly keep him out this late?

That was when she heard it, the telltale sound of his van pulling in. Sighing with relief she took a drink off her beer, closing her eyes. She hated to admit it, but she really did care about him. The asshole had managed to weasel his way into her heart.

"You really should lock your door at night, Montgomery."

Her eyes snapped open, her heart leaping into her throat. Hadn't he just pulled in?

"Jesus fucking Christ, Eddie! You scared me! What are you doing here, anyway?"

Eddie laughed, dropping down on the couch beside her, shifting to lay his head in her lap. His favorite thing to do when he'd been drinking. Smiling softly she stroked his hair. So unlike Jack who would come home drunk and beat her. Eddie just walked in and laid his head in her lap. One was so violent, the other so gentle.

"Saw your lights on. Having trouble sleeping again?" His brow creased with worry, one hand reaching up to hold onto her arm. Absentmindedly she stroked the faint scar on his face from the earthquake. Seeing his scars helped her feel a bit better about her own.

"You weren't home yet and I wanted to make sure you got home safe."

Without a word Eddie stood, lifting her and tossing her over his shoulder. Dani couldn't stop the laugh that escaped her as he carried her down the hall, stopping only to lock her door and turn lights off along the way.

"Eddie, what are you doing?" She laughed as he reached up, tickling her side.

"You should have been in bed hours ago. You have the early shift, remember?"

"So, what, you're just carrying me-" she was cut off as he ripped her blanket back, tossing her onto her bed. "Like a caveman?" she continued, now laughing so hard she almost couldn't breathe.

Dani watched as he stripped off his clothes, climbing in beside her in nothing but his boxers. His warm body pressed against hers as he pulled the blanket over them, wrapping an arm around her waist, pulling her in tight. His lips were feather light against her shoulder as he whispered to her.

"Yeah. Now, sleep, Montgomery. I'll be right here if you need me."

***The Next Morning-Eddie's POV***

Sunshine peeked through the window, nearly blinding him as he sat up, looking around. So, this was Dani's bedroom. For a fellow metalhead nobody would ever know it. Everything in here screamed feminine. From the flower garland adorning her mirror, to the lace curtains, to the perfume and makeup lined up along the top of her dresser.

Groaning he swung his legs over the edge of her bed, spotting his clothes in a heap on the floor. Shit. Had she seen all of his scars? He was so drunk he didn't remember taking off his clothes. Just climbing into bed with her and holding her all night. Casting a glance over his shoulder he saw she wasn't in bed with him anymore. It was slightly disappointing, but she did have to work the early shift.

Pulling on his clothes he made his way out into the kitchen, where he found a note on her fridge. Taking it down he smiled, recognizing her writing instantly.

"Eddie,

There's a massive stack of pancakes and eggs for you in the fridge. Fresh coffee in the pot. Be sure to take some to Wayne. Key is on the table. Lock up when you leave. I'll come by after work to grab it from you.

Xoxo,
Dani"

What the hell would he do without her? Smiling he poured a cup of coffee, sipping on it while he contemplated what life had become. The nightmares didn't happen so much anymore. He spent most of his time with Dani, just living. He hadn't really lived in a long time. Nine months with this girl in his life and he was happier than he had been since before Vecna happened, now almost two years ago.

Finishing his coffee he grabbed the key and the food from the fridge, being sure to lock the door before taking the food over. With any luck Wayne would be awake still. He could use a bit of advice.

Opening the door to his own place he peered around before hearing water running in the bathroom. Humming to himself he made a couple of plates, heating them up in the microwave.

"Dani sent food!" he hollered down the hall, laughing at Wayne's shriek.

Not long after the table was set Wayne sat across from him, looking him up and down. Eddie shifted in his seat, preparing for the questions he knew were coming.

"At Dani's again last night?"

"Yeah. Her lights were on when I got home. Had trouble sleeping so I stayed with her," he nodded, taking a bite of food.

"She's good for you. You're getting out again," Wayne muttered around a bite of food. "Goddamn, that girl can cook."

"Yeah. About that, uhm," he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I really like her. She's funny, and kind, and smart, but she won't open up. She's still sort of closed off."

The two of them sat in silence, Eddie pushing food around on his plate nervously. The longer Wayne took to answer, the more nervous he got.

"Well, son, have you opened up to her?"

"What do you mean?"

"Have you talked about what happened?" Wayne gestured towards his scars.

Of course it would be that. He didn't want to lie to her. He couldn't lie to her. It's why he never talked about it with her. Lying to her was the last thing he wanted to do.

"You know I haven't," he grumbled.

"You need to talk to somebody, Eddie. Dani might just be the right person to do it."

Wayne meant well, but he had no idea what he was asking of him. The less people that knew about the Upside Down, the safer everyone would be. He couldn't risk Dani being in danger.