xlvii. the monster and the superhero

chapter forty-seven
the monster and the superhero

  A knife dug between the shoulder blades of the girl. The dagger had torn past her skin and made her bleed. Beads of blood rolled down her back, painting her skin crimson while her eyes shed tears of betrayal.

Then, there was a second knife.

Another traitor.

By the time the third knife hit, she couldn't find it in herself to cry any more tears. They didn't deserve it anyway.

Besides, Rue Newby had no more tears left to cry.

She had spent them all silently crying in the bathroom of an airplane, which wasn't how Rue had planned her Sunday morning to go. But then again, when had her life ever gone the way she wanted it to be?

Somehow, the already fucked up life had brought her back to the last place she wanted to be in; Hawkins, Indiana.

For the sake of her old friends, Rue tried. She tried her hardest not to seem hurt to be there. Rue tried to be optimistic even if it had only lasted an hour. She pretended she didn't despise every damned second she spent in that town. Because Rue missed them, she did it for them. She missed Steve, Dustin, Nancy, Robin, Lucas, and even Max. Rue missed Max, and when Rue saw her again, Rue felt the heavy weight of Ember Edwards' lips and kisses. They burned her skin to the point she could feel it in her bones.

Despite that, Rue missed all of them. So she tried to be the person they once knew. Rue tried to be the girl she left behind in Hawkins to die. She tried to be fourteen again.