xxxv. this dream isn't feeling sweet

chapter thirty-five
this dream isn't feeling sweet

 RUE WASN'T ONE TO question things when they happened. Sure, she'd wonder about it for a while, but she would end up brushing it off after a day. But she did question only two things.

 One: if Max Mayfield could be an angel fallen from the heavens, who was there to protect Rue no matter what. She wonders how the girl could pull her away from the thoughts that darkened her mind, how Max could then take over her feelings like a virus — but a good virus. There was nothing Maxine Mayfield could do that wouldn't cause a family of butterflies to circle her stomach — and Rue questioned if what happened that night of the cabin was real or just a dream. Did they actually kiss? God, she hoped so.

 Rue also questioned when Will and Alex would admit their feelings for each other. But she wasn't going to rush them, not wanting to seem like a hypocrite in her brother's eyes. They liked each other, and everyone could see it — was it the same with Max and Rue?

 Nah.

 . . . Probably.

 How could it be that she was saved by her dead mother in the woods? Now, that was a question that Rue would think about forever. She felt like the answer was at the tip of her tongue. Maybe it wasn't her. Rue had said before that she feared her powers would take over her. That she won't be able to control them. . . but she was doing well so far — yet it was only time until she'd break.