x. "i'm fine" she said, like a liar

chapter ten
"i'm fine," she said, like a lair

✧ 

 STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. . . she thought. You're fucking crazy.

 Rue Newby always wondered when the guilt of what happened to Ava Fleur might hit. She didn't expect it to run her over like a train when she was sleeping, reliving the afternoon everything went to more shit than before.

 She questioned why she felt so horrible, Rue hasn't cried in months. Why start now? Maybe she went numb for those few months. It was her body screaming at her to stop burying those feelings she should be expressing. Those emotions that made her human.

 Angry tears ran down her face as she ran to the bathroom at four in the morning.

 Rue placed her hands on the sides of the sink, gripping it tightly her knuckles turned white. She doesn't even recall what happened that day, only that one minute she was being hit by bats, and the next she saw Ava on the ground, the pipe they'd always joke about, pointing out from her stomach.

 She stared at herself in the mirror with; puffy nose and bloodshot green eyes. Rue stood a deep breath, wiping her eyes, she flashed that familiar fake smile at her reflection. And then, she saw it. Her smile no longer looked convincing.

 Rue smiled harder, but now she looked insane. Her smile dropped as she glared at herself. Rue felt the word "Murderer," written on her forehead, which was ridiculous because Rue didn't even do it . . . Did she?

 No, she didn't! She didn't even touch the guy who crashed her mother's car . . . she only threatened him . . . and Ava, oh, sweet Ava. Rue didn't touch her either. It seemed like this horrible fate followed her, ready to kill. Maybe Rue Newby is cursed? But then why hasn't anyone else died?