xxvi. cow printed bandaid

chapter twenty-six 
cow printed bandaid

✧ 

 THE BUBBLES POPPED SILENTLY  ,   and the water was nearly at the rim of the bathtub. It was warm and relaxing, and Rue wouldn't have it any other way. She leaned back on the tub, humming along to "Isn't She Lovely," by Stevie Wonder. Even though the music wasn't in the volume Rue wanted it to be, it was late, and Will, Lucas, and Alex were sleeping in the room across the hall. She enjoyed the instrumentals and quiet singing.

  "Isn't she pretty? Truly the angel's best . . ."

 Rue had one hand out of the tub, her fingers brushing on the soft rug next to the bath, and the other was held up slightly, following the movement of the razor. She had a leg up on the tap, where the razor would brush over her tan skin, shaving away the hairs. Maybe one good thing about powers was how Rue no longer had to use her hands for everyday activities. Bright hues of gold and blue slipped from her fingertips, and they lit up the small room.

 "Boy, I'm so happy. . . .We have been heaven blessed . . . ."

 She tilted her head back, staring up at the roof. The scent of cinnamon filling her nose, and the bubbles reached up to her chest. Rue could lay there forever, forgetting about her worries and enjoying the warmth that replaced the one Max used to give when they cuddled to sleep.

 Rue frowned at the thought of Max. She missed her a lot even though it's only been one day. The whole summer they've seen each other every day. Everyday! Even before summer, they had school together, and they'd go to each other's house after school to finish homework, and on the Weekend's they'd go to the arcade, or Max would watch Rue's baseball practices.