i. rue, the kind

chapter one
rue, the kind

 IT WON'T BE THAT BAD — they'll love you!" The boy in a bowl-cut exclaimed, a bright smile on his face.

 The first day of school was around the corner, and Will Byers had most of the summer hanging out with his mom's, boyfriend's, daughter, Rue Newby.

 And today, he was — to Rue's disappointment — going to introduce her to all his friends. The Byers' boy couldn't stop smiling when he was telling the party about the mystery girl, how fun she was.

 "I don't know," she sighed, her thumbs chasing each other on her lap.

 The whole car ride, she's been having second thoughts about meeting his friends. She did not have a good history with people. They've always found some reason to dislike her, and Rue believed them, even if their excuses were rude or straight-up lies.

 It was her surprise when the Byers had taken a liking to her. The only people she's known that's liked her and brought her in with open arms were her parents.

 Sometimes she'll wonder if the Byers were only kind because of pity. Pity, of the past about Rue, Bob Newby had probably already told them. But she'd push those thoughts away and tucked them in the pit she already had most of her thoughts buried in.

 "Having you as my friend is enough — I wouldn't want to — " she tried to say before she felt a finger being pressed to her lips, stopping her from saying more.