iv. halloween fools

chapter four
halloween fools

 ✧ 

 HAWKINS' MIDDLE SCHOOL'S    halls were full of students, and the chaos was so perfect, like a movie. There was the couple that was making out on the left side of the hall, and about ten feet farther down, the cliquey girls. Opposite them, the cliquey "jocks," and between them, the parade of band geeks with their huge instrument cases. 

 There were the tech kids who never did anything but make paper airplanes and the math kids who held a book to their nose, bumping into everyone in the halls.

 One thing they've all had in common was that none, not one student, was wearing a Halloween costume. On Halloween.

 Oh, the embarrassment to the poor kid who decided to wear a costume to school that day. The rest of the school had silently decided; that they were much too mature for Halloween.

 Rue Newby chuckled softly at the thought. She had been one of the fools to wear a costume, but she didn't mind. Rue liked her Halloween costume, even if it was simple.

 It wasn't like she had much time to put it together. She wasn't planning on wearing a costume at all, that is until she got a phone call early that morning, the voice of a girl she was growing to appreciate, asking if they could match costumes.

 "Dun dun dun, another bites the dust . . . " Freddie Mercury sang in her ears.

 Her fingers tapped to the beat of the song on her textbooks. Rue made her way through the school halls, trying her best not to get trampled by anyone while Queen played on her walkman.