lviii. the piggyback

chapter fifty-eight
the piggyback

  Rue has to bite back her fears. She can feel herself tremble, her spine shuddering with every sharp intake of breath she makes. The warmth and lightness that had once pervaded the air have vanished. Rue attempts to reassure herself that there is nothing to be frightened about.

She's not the one going into the alternate dimension, and she's not the one facing the monster that's been terrorizing the town all week. Although she still believes that she'll take her chances with Vecna face to face rather than losing herself in mental space, at least here, in the physical world, everything is real.

A petty, resentful part of her wants to refuse to even offer her help. There's still that agony in her chest from the injustice done to her, the deception, the hurt, the hypocrisy that pervades everyone inside the mobile home.

She tries to push those thoughts away. For Max, she tells herself. She's simply doing it for Max's sake, to keep her safe and keep her alive. For Max. After that, Rue can be as bitter as she wants, start as many arguments as she wants, and accuse everyone of treating her like shit. After that, she can scream all she wants, cry all she wants, and give everyone a piece of her mind after crossing her.

Rue's shoes smack against the pavement as she steps to the end of the Maguire family's driveway and stares at the house before her. It was a one-story house in the same old neighbourhood as Dustin Henderson's house. It has a nice front porch and bright flower beds that add to the entire image of the home. It practically screams perfection, and then there is Rue and Ricky standing in front of it sticking out like sore thumbs with muddy skin and torn clothes, like a wine stain on the white carpet.