xxi. the love club

chapter twenty-one
the love club

 "DARLING YOU'VE GOT TO let me know!"

 "Should I stay or should I go!"

 Will and Rue jumped up and down around their room, singing along to the song "Should I Stay or Should I go," by The Clash. When their feet hit the ground, it caused the items on the desk by the window to shake, nearly falling off. But the siblings didn't care, and they got lost with the beat of the music. Their voices were much louder than the stomping of their feet. Will and Rue were lucky they're home alone, or else Jonathan would have told them to stop it.

 The song faded to an end, and they both fell on their beds, panting as they stared at the roof. They had bright smiles on their flushed and red faces.

 "After listening to this song a million times . . ." Rue heaved, covering her eyes with her arm, "I know why you love this song so much."

 "It's great, I told you," Will huffed, as the next song on their mixtape played on their boombox. The two sat up, hesitating to go back to what they were doing before they broke into their small concert.

 Rue watched as Will slowly moved to the desk by the window, where the bright sunlight shined into the small shared bedroom. The sun was golden, and the sky was turning pink. A beautiful sunset covered the sky in Hawkins that summer evening.

 Will spun on the chair, chewing on the back of his pencil crayon as he stared at his drawing while Rue looked over her mom's birth certificate and papers, which she only got a hand of thanks to Jonathan and Nancy.