🖤 Tatsumiya × Idate (The Winter Sea) 🖤

Thank you SyachiSan I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it <3

TW: grief

**

<<I did not want for it to end up this way>> was the only murmur that escaped Tatsumiya's lips.

Those were the last words she pronounced.

Despite taking a sit at the banquet table, during Wadanohara's celebration evening, she was unable to eat anything.

That night Princess Uomi spoke in her memory and gave a speech to "express our eternal gratitude towards the sea witch, who heroically sacrificed body and soul for our kingdom". But Tatsumiya barely heard a word of it.

The court attempted to make the oarfish speak again.

<<You were like a mother>>.

<<She was like a daughter to you, right, Tatsumiya?>>.

Not surprisingly, they received no answer.

<<She ended up having the same fate as her father>>.

<<Must be in the family's blood!>> Elica howled with a drunk smile, causing Pulmo to give her a harsh, indignated nudge.

<<She was so young, still!>>.

<<I can't believe that it happened again>>.

<<Let's hope this weird seal actually works this time...>>.

<<I wouldn't be so sure, last time it was put in place by a much stronger wizard. Why would the one made by a literal child work any better?>>.

<<I never trusted magical creatures>>.

<<Do you really think it's appropriate to say something like this during her celebration?>> some people protested, but Tatsumiya saw enough, and finally decided to leave the table.

She did not even care that it could look unpolite.

The oarfish withdrew from the noise, the chatter, the toasts in memory of "Meikai's honorable daughter", and she headed towards the silence of the balcony.

The cold water of the evening touched her skin. She gradually felt like she could breathe again.

Her gaze lingered on the vastity of the blue ocean. It gave her goosebumps. The sea only turned back to that color (a healthier, livelier color) thanks to the beloved witch's sacrifice.

Suddenly, the joyous life in the deep blue sea seemed to have something surreal and macabre to it, founded as it was on the passing of a child. A child - or better yet, that vital puzzle piece she had devoted her every effort towards until the very last moment.

Every effort spent to support and protect Wadanohara... it suddenly looked like wasted time.

She couldn't even cry.

<<Hey there>>.

She turned.

To her surprise, a certain, strolling orca emerged from the patio door. She realized she didn't even know their name yet.

<<...It's you?>>.

<<Ah, I managed to make you speak, it seems>> the orca said with a half smile.

Tatsumiya turned her back on him.

<<Why am I here? Oh, you know, I would never give up the chance to chat for a while and drink free alcohol>> the orca went on, answering a question that was never asked.