🖤 Yukisada × Shirogane (Summer Nights) 🖤

Thank you tsukaser for your request!! I hope you'll like this ❤️

**

It was a warm summer night.

The two of them were seated next to each other, in front of a bonfire. The waves dragged themselves slowly on the foreshore. The dim twilight painted the sky in a soft lilac tone, above their tired heads. The last lights of the day were fading behind the mountains, along the horizon. The first stars of the night were glimmering. Venus was twinkling, watching over them. The sea was colored in purple, the slow movement of the waves reflecting all the shades of the sky. The sound of the water helped them gradually relax their breath.

The idea of sharing such an intimate moment together caused them to shiver with anxiety and excitement, but their bodies, too, were gradually relaxed and sweetened by the scent of wet sand and sea salt. The soft warmth of the flame and the smell of burned wood made them feel at home. The fire sparks rised towards the sky, as if they were reaching out above to become stars themselves. The black sand tickled their bare feet.

Yukisada was leaning on Shirogane's shoulder, as he was wrapping an arm around him. Shirogane was happy to be the one to welcome him and cuddle him. To be able to cuddle someone and make someone feel good. He was slowly caressing his head, messing up his soft hair. That moment caused him to feel so... impossibly calm.

He knew that it was bound to end - he knew that knot of anxiety would constrict his throat again, sooner or later, that his stomach would grow tighter again, that his chest would be teared apart from pain again. He knew that it was only a brief moment of peace. That the agony would come back to him, sooner or later.

...But the mere fact of being able to have a moment of relief was more than enough to comfort him. Just one moment of relief - a brief break from the pain - a brief moment to breathe again - to breathe in deeply, and rest. His nervous system had finally the time to loosen and unclench. He didn't expect that he would be able to enjoy such sweet moments again, surely not so soon. He still remembered how, just a few hours before, his body was shaking because of the cold - his teeth chattering - his nervous system was tense, high-strung, the nausea was compressing his skull and his chest, he was about to vomit - the pain was almost splitting his body in half - coming back to a place so safe and so warm, in such a short amount of time, was almost too good to be true.

That's why he didn't allow himself to hope that it would last long - that it would be something long-lived. But he didn't care. Living that moment was enough. That moment alone would grant him the strength to keep up and get back on his feet - maybe even heal some of his ancient wounds. Even if Yukisada were to not be there anymore once the morning came, the memory of that night alone would always be a healing balm for him.

<<Do you think Idate will come back?>> Yukisada asked him, still half asleep.

<<Yeah, I think so>> Shirogane answered: <<But I'm less scared of him if I have the certainty that I will come back to you afterwards. Is it okay with you? Maybe it's selfish>>.

<<...No, why would it be?>>.

Shirogane fell silent. He simply patted his head, thoughtfully: <<I don't want to use you to feel better>>.

<<Why would that be selfish? I feel better when I'm with you, too. There's nothing wrong with it. I'm happy to make you feel better>>.

<<Are you sure, Yuki?>>.

<<Why would I lie when I'm so sure of what I'm saying? Yeah, I'm for real, Shiro>>.

Shirogane smiled: <<Weirdly enough, I don't have any trouble believing you. I can actually believe that you care for me, haha>>.