🤍 Fem!Shirogane × Witch!Reader pt.2 🤍

That period of pure, unbridled joy met a sudden, abrupt interruption.

Every time I asked Shiro to hang out with me she said she had something else to do, and if I bumped into her around the isle she was always quick to leave with some excuse. Whenever I approached her, she seemed anxious, on the defense.

I offered to go to her place, maybe she'd feel more comfortable that way, but her reaction was even more tense: <<No, no, absolutely not, not now, at least>> she replied, and then she disappaered again.

She was actively avoiding me.

I didn't know what to think.

The thing that bothered me the most was that she started avoiding me ever since we had that conversation. I replayed it in my head multiple times, desperately looking for something wrong I said or did (maybe she suddenly decided that I was indeed that selfish? maybe hugging her was too forward of a move? but she hugged me back, without thinking twice...), but after a while I just held on to that memory, since it was my last happy memory with her, if not ever.

I spent some days in the abyss of misery. I had felt so much happiness, and now I was feeling the same amount of grief and horror. A zero-sum game. I felt so aimless and hopeless. I tried to shake myself up from that numbness, telling What happened to you, What are you even doing, Who are you, You're not like this, I can't even recognize you anymore.

I always had her in my mind, in the back of my brain, didn't matter what I was doing -- my special interest in studying new magical ingredients didn't bring me the same joy anymore, and I didn't have the focus necessary to pursue it anyway.

I realized that I spent an eternity - my entire life, maybe - in a sort of deafening apathy. Everything that came before Shiro and everything that did not involve Shiro had no color, no taste. I had forgotten everything that ever was before I met her. I thought I had a calm and happy life: my main goal had always been to pursue my own happiness and that's how I employed magic as well.

And yet, suddenly, everything I did to achieve that goal and everything that made me happy before was not only tasteless but even shallow, pitiful, meaningless. Pathetic. I had just been pursuing a mindless satisfaction after the other, just like an animal stuck in the cycle of its own appetites. But now, through Shiro, I felt like I could aim for something higher, more final, something that could drag me out of that sad hamster wheel and could finally grant me authentic peace and authentic joy.

That sudden emptiness was destabilizing, unexpected: I was not used to see myself in such a shameful state. I've never been the one to establish strong bonds with anyone, nor did I ever feel the need to. But she, Shiro, she had just changed the rules of the game, something in my brain was reprogrammed, reset, rearranged.
I felt lost, shaken, aimless. Scared by just how strong that misery was.

Some days passed, and the sadness turned into rage.

To the point that, when I finally met her again (I did not even remember the last time that happend), I finally woke up from my numbness and took direct action. I approached her, I took her my the shoulder - causing her immense shock - and I said: <<Why do you avoid me, Shiro? Please, tell me what this is about, I can't live like this>>.

<<Hey! Oh... I-I... I'm not avoiding you...>>.

<<Don't lie to me, Shiro! You're not the one to lie like this. I'm only looking for answers. Then I will let you go>>.

<<...Alright. I'll tell you. But please...
don't be mad at her, she has her own good reasons to do this... Yukisada... does not want me to hang out with you anymore>>.