Chapter 25

Chapter 25

*Sam's POV*

The door swung open making me sit up in bed abruptly. It was time for the reckoning.

He dropped his bag on the floor by the door and made his way up the steps. His boots created echoes through the otherwise silent house making me tremble. Even my wolf that was buried deep inside at this point was curled up and whimpering.

He walked through the door flashing me a smile before he took in the room. I could see his face gradually change with each context clue he found.

Janey wasn't in the room. His eyebrows knitted together.

I made no move to give an explanation. His smile dropped.

My stomach had deflated to half the size. His hands balled into fists.

The breast pump and bottles on the side table. His shoulders hunched as if he was fighting himself to stay calm.

The complete silence instead of a crying baby. His lips curled up into a snarl.

"Where the hell is my son?" His words came out low and calculated. The light in his eyes almost completely dissipated making his whole face turn dark.

I dropped my eyes to my stomach and bunched the blanket in my hands. Tears stung my eyes and quickly began falling onto my lap. I knew they were out of pure fear, but I hoped Henry would only see sorrow. "He didn't make it."

Everything was still for a few seconds. Unsure of his reaction I glanced up through my eyelashes. He was torn between rage and sorrow. His legs seemed to wobble as he made his way to the chair that was normally reserved for Janey.

"What do you mean he didn't make it? He was perfectly healthy this whole time. I felt him."

I took a deep breath and placed my hands on my stomach. It was easier to believe the story I had been instructed to tell him than the truth. Maybe if I just convinced myself that was what really happened it would be best for us all.

"My water broke out of nowhere. The contractions were too sporadic...we didn't think it would happen so soon." The lump in my throat grew larger making my words shake. My baby was gone. "He came out feet first and the cord wrapped around his neck. There was too much damage, and we couldn't save him."

His hand grabbed mine. At first, I thought it was in our mutual grief, but he gripped tighter until I felt claws breaking my skin. "H-Henry...You're hurting m-me." I tried to pull my hand away, but he gripped tighter making a trickle of blood start to drip on my green blanket. "Please...let me go..."

"You didn't answer my question. Where. Is. My. Son." He spat each word out and all grief in his face was gone. There was only anger mixed into the borderline wolf features. His ears were turning into a point and the energy around him vibrated.

"Janey had to take him. There's a certain procedure. His birth and death have to be recorded...and... and..." Henry was standing with my wrist still caught in his hand.

"You had one job. One measly job. To bring me a son." He raised my arm forcing me on my knees on the bed. Searing pain spread through my abdomen, and I used my other hand to hold onto my stomach. My teeth dug into my bottom lip to keep from crying out. "Now not only do I not have a son I don't even have his body to prove it."

Before I could register what was happening a half-clawed hand raked across my face. He released my wrist letting my body flop back onto the bed as I screamed. Both hands moved to my face feeling the skin that was now open in slices. I pulled one hand back to see it completely covered in blood. Grabbing the blanket, I bundled it up applying pressure to try and stop the bleeding. The tears still ran down my face and I fought to catch my breath.